Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who supplies your medicines?  (Read 2717 times)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Who supplies your medicines?
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:44:13 pm »
I'm looking to review our supplier of penecillen, anti-biotics, wormers, and infact all my medicine supplies.

Who do you use, if its not the vet? And what if a prescription is needed?

Lee

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Who supplies your medicines?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:24:32 pm »
We use the vet.  They may not be the cheapest, although they are not bad, but we feel it is well worthwhile to support such a good Vet practice - they are always there when we need them.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:32:47 pm »
I use farmers merchants for most of my medicines Wormers, Hep 2, and the likes. For prescription I go to my vet. Do sometimes use ivamectin for my chickens which I get from a friend.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 03:50:36 pm »
I use the vet for POM stuff (like anti-biotics, oxytocin and parvo vaccs) and I use either Holmfield Farm Services in York or VetMeds Direct in (think it's) Livingston for other stuff - gleptosil, ery vaccs, wormer etc.
Holmfield Farm Services have pig vets on hand, so they may be able to issue a prescription if needed ?

I found that with the phone/on-line companies one will do one thing cheaper and the other will do something else cheaper - so it's swings & roundabouts really  ::) I'm finding buying a syringe of just what I need from the vet is working out far cheaper than buying a full bottle (with only 12 'breeders' we never use it all in time !) but have to admit I've never gotten them to price the wormers etc - something for the 'to do' list me thinks.

HTH Lee
Karen  :wave:

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »
Our vet is increasingly expensive and we do buy everything from them, but I'm looking to shop around! I don't think they would be very happy with issuing. Prescription to be filled elsewhere!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 05:33:10 pm »
Our vet is increasingly expensive and we do buy everything from them, but I'm looking to shop around! I don't think they would be very happy with issuing. Prescription to be filled elsewhere!

They will probably charge you for the prescription. I'm with Fleecewife. Our vets don't charge over the odds and have helped out with small doses. For big stuff like Crovect that lasts a few years, I use whoever is cheapest on-line. Varies every time.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:45:49 pm »
I work at the vets and get our stuff from them.  We get 10% off but some things are still cheaper online but generally large animal drugs are competative.  It is always worth asking your vets if they can do a better price on something, they can only say no  ;).  If you do buy online and need a prescription they will write one for you but are allowed to charge now, think ours are £10 for large animal prescription.  Thing that I always think is that if vets aren't making money on drugs because people are buying online then they will end up having to charge more for their time so visits etc would end up costing more  :-\.  Have to say though our vets are reasonable with their pricing so we're lucky, unlike some so can understand when there is a huge difference in prices online it makes sense to shop around  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 10:06:25 pm »
Our vets seem to keep their prices fair for large animal stuff, to make sure that farmers use them and don't try DIY or the rifle.  They charge more for small animal work.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS