Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad word of warning  (Read 3564 times)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Sad word of warning
« on: December 19, 2011, 09:07:10 am »
My daughter 'phoned me yesterday to ask what a friend should do about her Bichon puppy that had got into her handbag and eaten, amonst other things a load of Paracetamol tablets.  I thought it must have just happened so said to give her mustard and water to make her vomit and get her to the vet at once.
Unfortunately it had happened a few hours before and though the vet did everything possible she had to be put to sleep this morning.
I've put this in here instead of the doggy bit so that more folk will see it, hopefully, and be warned to NEVER, NEVER leave tablets where dogs even might get hold of them.
A sad Christmas for his poor girl :'( :'(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Sad word of warning
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 09:36:59 am »
 :bouquet: What a shame.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 09:58:59 am »
There is so much publicity about paracetamol I don't know why she even hesitated going to her vet, but it may not have helped anyway.  Paracetamol attacks the liver and kidneys in high doses - I don't use it.  You must be very careful of Ibuprofen too as it is poisonous to dogs.  Poor dog, and poor owner, she must be devastated.  It's a lesson to us all.  I keep my handbag well out of reach as mine would rummage too given the chance.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 11:55:10 am »
Very sad :'( and a timely reminder about over counter drugs laid around in reach of animals and small children.
Can i also mention that it's christmas and theres a lot of chocolate around and thats an equally nasty no no for dogs so make sure your choccy goodies are out of their reach too.
Mandy  :pig:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 12:06:11 pm »
Mandy, good reminder.  Last year Meg ate a bag of chocolate coins that were in a bag and I didn't think she would find them.  She managed to unwrap a lot of the foil but still pooed some out too.  Took her to vets and they made her throw up and she was just feeling a bit sorry for herself.

I am so sorry about the dog who died, just absolutely awful for the owners. :'(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:12:45 pm »
Oh no, how awful  :( Reminds me to keep my handbag out of the kitchen!

rbarlo32

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:19:48 pm »
poor dog. don't try diy treatments just get it to the vet as fast as possible. the quicker the better results but expect to lose your animal.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 03:02:13 pm »
So sad.   :(

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 06:46:49 pm »
I only takes a short while for the paracetamol to be absorbed and then of course, too late :( for humans as well as animals. Too many sad and desperate people use them as a  "crie de coeur" and don't say 'til too late.
Annie there is a lot of publicity about the dangers but, it seems, not enough.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 08:42:30 pm »
:(
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 11:01:39 pm »
The saddest bit about it all is that apparently paracetemol can be 'made up' with some ingredient that makes it safe - stops the liver damage and haemorrhaging but it makes them cost twice as much (tuppence then not a penny  ::)) and so they don't do it  :(

waterhouse

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 10:25:58 pm »
My brother, an FRPS, says that tablets were available with methionine added which protected the liver against damage but they were significantly more expensive and he thought they were withdrawn because the methionine introduced some other undesirable side effects that made normal doses a lot less safe.

The problem is that at the recommended max dose of 8 a day the drug is pretty much problem-free.  It certainly has far fewer problems than ibuprofen and aspirin. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS