Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bitch or dog  (Read 3622 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
bitch or dog
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:56:06 pm »
Hi everyone  :wave:
I am currently searching for an Irish setter puppy, having lost my old boy recently  :'( I have only ever had Setter dogs (although my mother did have some bitches when I was younger). The question is do you think it makes a huge difference if one chooses a male or female? I also have a working springer spaniel dog but he is castrated so there would not be any issues with a bitch joining the family. Having only having dogs in the past I am thinking a dog might be the best option but my hubby thinks I should consider both options ???  Would love to hear your opinions and thoughts on the subject  :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: bitch or dog
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 07:55:33 am »
I would consider a bitch too, a bitch might be best received by the existing dog?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 09:58:51 am »
There are pros and cons as with everything.  I have 2 dogs and 2 bitches.

The girls were easier to train than the boys as they are much more independent.  The girls have sometimes cost me a show or shoot by coming in season at the wrong time.  My two boys aren't getting on at the moment and my two girls can be a bit crabby with each other too.  My boys are both very cuddly and affectionate.

You may be lucky and have two boys that get on fine especially as one is already neutered - the aggro usually starts when the younger one starts finding his hormones.  If you take a female you could have her spayed after she is two so would only have perhaps 2 or 3 seasons to trouble you, and maybe they wouldn't be a problem anyway if you don't show or work your dogs.  She just needs to be kept on lead for 2 to 3 weeks during that time. They can sometimes be messy but both my girls have always kept themselves clean.
Hope that helps?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
I'm sorry to hear that you lost your old boy.   :bouquet:

I've never had a setter but I've had dogs and bitches, mainly mixed breeds (ie, mongrels) and latterly working collies and foxhounds.  As a youngster growing up I used to walk as many neighbours' dogs as I was allowed, and trained a good few.

It's a cliche I know, but I have found it to be the case that generally, bitches are more sensitive to harsh tones.  Sometimes to the extent that they can't continue working (or whatever you were doing with them) if they are told off other than gently.  Dogs are generally more robust, shaking it off with a, "It's a fair cop!" sort of a grin.  There are of course exceptions, but I would lean towards a dog if either you or your OH is inclined to shout at a naughty dog, or to administer the odd short, sharp smack.   

I did find it to be quite a big adjustment when I started to have bitches, having always had dogs for many years.  I wish I could say that I now never shout at any of my canines, and that dogs and bitches alike respond best to a gentle, "Ah!" to correct - but I would be lying.  It is true that I now always start with, "Ah!", and am much better at redirecting unwanted behaviours in pups and youngsters, so that reprimands are needed less - but anyone who has working collies that work sheep, and says they never shout at them, is either lying, dumb, or sainted!  ;D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:26:26 am »
I would say dogs for men and boys or anyone who like a bit of rough and tumble, race around playtime with their pet,  they seem always up for fun, and more likely to get into mischief especially when pups. 

Bitches, as said above are more sensitive, and I find easier to train, and probably a bit more willing to please, though that is dependent very much on the individual.  My naughtiest dog ever was a dog, and though I loved him dearly he was a rascal till the day he died (I got asked to leave a dog training class once when he was a youngster - now that is bad  :o)

My current Great Dane is a delight to have around, but she is not keen on going out when its raining, or getting her feet in mud etc 

I think you get my drift about the difference between - it just a male female thing, though as ever there is always the exception that will prove the rule.  ::)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 12:07:09 pm »
I'm sorry to hear you've lost your old boy.

As for dog or bitch, I've got both and we always had both at home as a child. I'd say the individual personalities completely outweigh the gender differences. The stroppiest, bolshiest dog I have now is my collie bitch, the dog is much more easy going, though when he does get cross everyone takes notice! The retriever bitch is in her own happy blonde world and makes me laugh every day  :D I think there is something in the 'more likely to shake it off' aspect of a dog being shouted at compared with a bitch.

If i were adding an animal to your household, I think a bitch puppy might be more easily accepted by the resident male.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS