Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Helping the hatch  (Read 6081 times)

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
Re: Helping the hatch
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23:16 pm »
I find this totally fascinating......As a family looking to start with chickens, a little daunting, but totally engrossing, wee chicks for us me thinks...to start anyway  :thumbsup:

Keep up the good work....
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 04:59:49 pm »
Interesting stuff. One of the ones I helped out slept overnight in poo which glued it to the paper, so it spent the night on its side. Now it's wonky. Could have been the fact that I helped it, could have been the getting stuck on its side overnight, or it could be that when I peeled the egg its foot was glued to its head with dried out white. So in fact I'm still no further forward with whether it's better to let nature take its course, or whether it's better to take the risk of weakness / deformity in order to maximise the hatch. The other 2 I helped are thriving. It's a dilemma.

With splaying I think wool is the best as it doesn't stick. We've had great success with it.

Well, Goldcraig, if you want chickens I'm selling my chicks!

I put off getting chickens for 12 years because I read some chicken keeping books and they scared the bejeesus out of me. They focus on all of the complications and problems so that you can refer to them if needs be. But in reality, you buy chickens, a coop and corn, lock them up at dark, let them out in the morning, feed, water and clean them, and that's pretty much it! This forum is obviously fantastically useful and infinitely better than a book as nothing beats first hand experience. Go for it!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 06:10:09 pm »
good advice dc!

Jaykay, or whoever ... do you have any photos of splinted legs you could share?
so I can see where I go wrong!

can hardly wait for the "wives" to start laying, so I can get hatching (we only have one cockerel, and his sons who are up for sale - anybody want a gorgeous bantam Rhode Island red chap?!)
:)
Little Blue

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 07:27:57 pm »
Little Blue, I don't think I've ever taken photos.

Basically a figure of eight around both legs, above the leg joint, so that they are tied together and held directly under the chick. It's not amazingly comfortable of course but they can sit down and get about because they can bend at the hock.

I've had no splayed legs (touches wood) since i started putting an old tea towel on top of the shavings in the brooder for the first few days - seems to give then a better surface to grip.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »
I get it - think my attempts must have ended up too low (by the time I'd got stuck to everything in site!)
thanks
:thumbsup:
Little Blue

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 08:15:16 pm »
Jaykay, I agree and think that  it's vital to give them something grippy to stand on for the first days. Kitchen roll is good, I find. I was given some cat training pads (go figure, as the yanks would say) by a friend,  which is bloody brilliant. Very absorbant and grippy, and snuggly.  I don't put shavings in the brooder, though, as they were eating them. The same with hay.
LB, I've got a photo of a hobbled chick, I'll try to upload it but my files all seem to be too big to upload, so I probably won't manage. Too much of a thicko to know how to compress files or whatever I'm supposed to do!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 08:24:32 pm »
Hobbled chick

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »
Bloody hell! It worked! HA.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 08:48:18 pm »
I agree with the cat/puppy training pad - I got a big batch of extra large ones for under the goats when they kid to remove all the goo etc and had tons over which I use in the brooder for call ducklings - they are warm, absorbant for poo and water splashes.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 08:51:23 pm »
They are brilliant, and worth the cost for a few things, newly hatched chicks definitely being one of them!

Black Raven

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Nr Windermere.
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »
They had some really cheap puppy pads at Poundstretcher.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:52 pm »
Sounds good, cos the tea towels are certainly not retrievable afterwards  :D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 11:30:34 am »
fab photo, thanks :thumbsup:

I assume training pads are cheaper than bed pads for incontinence? Used to deal with those at work!
I'll invest before the hatching season...
Little Blue

Barrett

• Joined Jun 2011
  • North Somerset
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 02:52:42 pm »
Hi guys, I do also help sometimes but I do always spray my eggs with luke warm water on the 18th day and until they pip always helps the little chicks to fight there way out. :wave:

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2012, 03:50:16 pm »
My OH always puts a layer of chick crumbs in the brooder.  These help them get their stability and they also peck and eat them.  I know they are expensive but worth it if chicks have a problem with splayed legs. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS