Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Using gas to knockout chickens before slaughter ?  (Read 3749 times)

chrismm662

• Joined Sep 2011
Using gas to knockout chickens before slaughter ?
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:09:22 pm »
Does anybody do this ?
Ive noticed you can buy small carbon dioxide driven tyre inflaters/dust blowers, could they be used to knock out chickens prior to slaughter ?
Thanks,
Chris M

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Using gas to knockout chickens before slaughter ?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:33:35 pm »
Carbon Dioxide isn't a knockout gas Chris. You will just be suffocating them -like wrapping their heads in a plastic bag. The industry method is stunning with an electric shock before cutting the throat and I have heard that will soon be the only approved method of slaughter for chickens. Studies have shown that breaking the neck leaves the head alive for up to 20 seconds and which is considered inhumane.

chrismm662

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 01:30:42 pm »
According to this site :-

http://www.ehow.com/info_8625426_humane-ways-kill-chickens.html

carbon dioxide is used to put chickens to sleep before slaugher, nobodies talking about putting a plastic bag over their head.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:32:31 pm »
D.E.F.R.A. have a booklet on this question.

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 01:44:51 pm »
Ive noticed you can buy small carbon dioxide driven tyre inflaters/dust blowers, could they be used to knock out chickens prior to slaughter ?

I've heard of day old chicks being done this way. Never used it myself. I think I'll try it next time I have day olds to dispatch but I'll also be be removing their heads.

Studies have shown that breaking the neck leaves the head alive for up to 20 seconds and which is considered inhumane.

That's why I make sure I remove their heads immediately after breaking their necks. Make sure they are dead.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 02:29:06 pm »
Seen the site Chris. Sorry it's still suffocation to me and hardly humane. They will be fighting for Oxygen until they become unconscious. Same effect as drowning. The site points out that chickens, at the time of writing, were not covered by the humane regulations. I know they commercially kill chicks that way, but that doesn't sit well with me either. Still, its better than the pre-Salmonella scare ( pre-Edwina Curry) method of putting them live into the meat grinder and then feeding the bits to the battery hens.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 02:51:42 pm »
I don't know why you'd use gas? If you break their necks quickly and decisively they suffer nothing til then and then it's over.

I can only think gas makes people feel better about killing them at the expense of making it worse for the chicken. What a nasty way to die, fighting for oxygen  :P

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 03:42:47 pm »
...could they be used to knock out chickens prior to slaughter ?

There is a clip on YouTube showing this. I'm not going to put the link up for fear off offending but a search using a few key words will find the video.

There is also a fair bit of PETA and government info on-line about gas mixtures for this topic. Again, I don't want to offend people so I won't go into details but they do address some of the issues mentioned.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

deepinthewoods

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 05:53:47 pm »
whats wrong with the back of an axe i say. theyre  not gonna be doing much worrying with a flat head imho.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS