Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scan results  (Read 3567 times)

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
Scan results
« on: December 26, 2011, 08:07:43 am »
Had the sheep scanned on the 24th I had 38 Ewes :-

16 singles   20 twins   1 with triplets and one empty     =   155%
Im really pleased with the results but as for the ewe with triplets im not sure what to do,
She is a good strong LLanwenog crossed with a Hampshire Down. Should i let her keep all three and see how she gets on or would you try and remother one of them to a single mum if the timing is right  ???

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
Re: Scan results
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:44:47 am »
I was always told to watch triplets carefully and if mother needs help to supplement a different one from the bottle every day rather than removing one.  Only ever had Jacob triplets though and it so easy to tell them apart.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:55 am »
Good result  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:16:47 am »
Great result  :thumbsup:

Firstly, she may not have 3 by the time she lambs, and they may not all make it out alive. 

Secondly, if she's a first-timer I would take at least one off even if it means rearing it on the bottle.  The problem is that they drink less at the start and will take more as they grow.  A first-timer (especially if a hogg) will soon run out of capacity, won't have learned yet how to manage their demands to eek out what she has got - a recipe, in my experience, for a ewe with mastitis and trying to get three older lambs onto bottles (which they don't always take to later on.)  If she's a hogg I would probably take two off and leave her to do a good job with just one; she'll have put a lot into growing and birthing three lambs and be likely to struggle more with twins than her twin-lambing sisters.  (And if they're first-timers, especially hoggs, some of them may struggle too.)

Topping up different lambs sounds like a good plan but may not work - you can't always get lambs that are suckling to take a bottle, plus the lambs will only take bottle if they are hungry, which won't stop them making excessive demands on mum when you are not there with the bottle.

If she's an older ewe who has reared twins successfully before, and is in tip-top condition when she lambs (condition score 2.5 minimum), you could try leaving them on and offering a bottle for topping up (more to get one or more of the lambs bottle trained than because they'll need the extra feed at the beginning.)  I have done this successfully many times - but some years there's less grass and hence less milk, and then you can still get mastitis later as the growing lambs make heavier and heavier demands.  You would of course give her extra cake - ad lib if you can do it - if she's rearing three.

Fostering one lamb onto a single can work well but equally you can find that the mother does know the difference and never cares for the adoptee as well as she does her own flesh and blood lamb.  I have had a lot of fostered lambs come back to the pet pen at a few weeks or even months old - and even when they do well, sometimes you have take them away as they are found to be running round pinching milk off all the ewes.  Fostering onto a bereaved mum usually works very well indeed - but of course you'll hope to have no bereaved mums available.

Sorry if that was all gloom and doom - but if she has 3, and is other than an experienced ewe in tremendous condition at lambing, and you can feed her quantities of cake, I would not consider leaving all three on.  Personally I would hesitate to foster onto a single - and would certainly keep a very close eye on how - and from whom - the lamb is feeding.

Temper all of the above with my position in the northwest on a just-below-the-moorland-line farm - you'll no doubt have a kinder climate and more grass than we do, which will help a lot.

But apart from the one triplet, that was a great scan  :thumbsup:  Congratulations.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 03:42:59 pm »
a few triplets are always handy, sometime you need a spare lamb for twinning on. Nice number of lambs though, now comes the long wait for lambing time!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 01:44:09 pm »
My last year's lambing produced 5 sets of triplets.It was just my second lambing year so lack of experience and what I didn't know led me to leaving them all with moms. I just watched for condition on the ewes and lambs and tried to feed them a increase in corn if they started to loose. I had really good hay brought in and they had about 10 acres of virgin pasture. The only problem was one 4 year old charollais/hampshire ewe started to go into milk fever shock about 2 weeks after birth. I noticed her soon enough that injections of cal mag phos brought her around and she was fine after that. I had one ewe that had quads that were delivered on the snow that 3 were too cold to save and she raised only the one and developed a mastistis as she would only let the lamb nurse on one side.I think beginners luck had more to do with the good outcome more than anything I did ;D ;D Should also say my shetlands did really well raising triplets-probably better than my larger commercial ewes

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:04:49 pm »
Last year we had one with triplets which lambed exactly at the same time as a single so no problem with fostering.  Rubbed all the afterbirth and mucus over it and the foster mum didnt know the difference.  Jan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS