Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhubarb in the Garden Today  (Read 10001 times)

dopirt

Rhubarb in the Garden Today
« on: March 01, 2009, 05:53:09 pm »
Rhubarb crowns opening now all around the Rhubarb patch.

Rhubarb thrives better when planted in deeply dug manured ground.

Try not to be tempted to pull any stocks the first year after planting and indeed try not to be tempted to pull too many on its second year either, allow the plants to get established for a couple of years forming nice large crowns.  It will reward you well once well established.  Remember to pick out any flowering shoots too.

Come winter time its also worth considering bringing in a few roots and forcing them in boxes or pots as I do like my Rhubarb early. 

You can of course force the crowns outside too by covering them over with either large pots or barrels and placing straw over and around them.

Give you Rhubarb a top dressing of well-rotted manure every winter too.

For Rhubarb lovers, why not try forcing them so that you can still have that Rhubarb pie before most other peoples have even started to burst through the crowns.  Remember not to bury the crown or the whole lot may rot and die on you.  Keep the crown proud of the surface of the soil to avoid the crown from rotting.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 09:31:59 pm by dopirt/spoonraker »

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
Re: Rhubarb in the Garden Today
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:13:13 pm »
after i atacked mine the otherday it has had a spurt and is showing :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:49:29 pm »
What do you mean by attacked, Linz?
I think I put manure on too late last spring, I had more flowering shoots than ever! Is it too late now or will I get the same?
I'll wait for the "real" stuff, I'm not so keen on the pale and tender forced shoots. I won't be long now!! :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:01:52 pm »
I'll wait for the "real" stuff, I'm not so keen on the pale and tender forced shoots. I won't be long now!! :&>

Me too - old wives tail says February/March rhubarb makes you march all right ;)  Quick march ;) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dopirt

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 11:35:02 am »
Forced Rhubarb Stocks are Delicious.   Stocks are more tender and sweeter and do not need to be peeled.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 01:45:38 pm by dopirt/spoonraker »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 03:10:26 pm »
I don't ever peel rhubarb. Roughage is good for you!

dopirt

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 03:20:55 pm »
I don't ever peel rhubarb. Roughage is good for you!

It’s all a matter off taste and personal opinion!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 03:55:14 pm »
Forced Rhubarb Stocks are Delicious.   Stocks are more tender and sweeter and do not need to be peeled.

Peeling rhubarb???????  Good grief - why????????  That's the best part - lovely stringy stuff dipped in sugar, getting stuck in your teeth, wonderful!

Thanks for  the rhubarb stool, Rosemary, it's in the ground - had to run the gauntlet of all your chickens though, they were all over the place and I couldn't see them when I tried to reverse out of your drive so I hope I didn't hit any!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

dopirt

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:59:36 pm »

Peeling rhubarb???????  Good grief - why????????  That's the best part - lovely stringy stuff dipped in sugar, getting stuck in your teeth, wonderful!

As already stated:  It’s all a matter off taste and personal opinion.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:34:34 pm »
Hi

Is it too late or can I still dig up and split my rhubarb. Shoots are just forming.

Thanks

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 08:40:16 pm »
What do you mean by attacked, Linz?

I tipped the pot up the other day as i thought i had killed it last year but found out the roots in the bottom (so covered it back up )waiting for hubby to prepare the ground where it is going to plant it and leave it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 08:44:36 pm »
Annie, hens all safe and well. Glad the rhubarb is OK.

My Gran used to cut a paper bag corner to corner and put some sugar in the bottom than give me that along with a stick of raw rhubarb to dip in it. I'm actually salivating as I type this. I used to love it but no wonder I have fillings!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:44:21 pm by Rosemary »

minidax

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »
Me too!!  A 'poke' of sugar and a big stalk of rhubarb and a seat on my granny's back step with the sun scorching down!!!!  Those were the days!!  I have the fillings too!!  Can't imagine what my kids would make of that instead of an ice pole in the summer!!

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 10:25:46 am »
im gonna sow some rhubarb from seed this weekend. I already have 7 crowns, jsut going into their second year (1st year for eating!!!)

but thought i could try some from seed this year instead of buying a few more crowns to plant for next year.

am i best to start them off indoors and then transplant or just wait until mid april (and hopefully the last frost) and sow direct into the ground?

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2009, 05:25:14 pm »
mmmm ...... rhubarb dipped in a saucer of sugar....those were the days! Yes, unfortunately, I've got plenty of fillings too! :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS