Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: High Winds  (Read 10337 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: High Winds
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 09:24:53 am »
Oh no  :o
We've got high winds again this morning but not that bad, you can walk, if a bit unsteadily.
Can't check exact speeds as the goats have eaten the cable to ex-DH's weather station  :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 09:37:52 am »
We knew we had to secure everything here when we bought the place back in 2002. Our farmer neighbour said he could measure the wind speed by seeing which of his fields the previous owners wee caravan had reached.......We too had a wee caravan initially but we put it inside the barn! Dark but a bit less scary! But the first year I lived up here was in a static caravan, and I wouldnt want to repeat that...scary in the wind. I used to go and sleep on the house even tho there were no doors, electricity, heating, water, anything, just so I had 4 solid walls. I snuggled up with the dogs on the huge Tuffie dog bed!

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 10:46:49 am »
Our bit of Germany tends to have steady winds rather than gusty...and not very strong, well not compared to our last house on the edge of the penines UK. BUT this week has been windy here, I am worried about our broken barn roof...the plastic has not survived (Needs redoing) and the hole (understatement) faces the prevaling winds!Oh hum!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
Wild and windy in North Yorkshire yesterday and today, no rain yet but reliably informed on its way, all hatches battened down, pigs buried in feet of straw so i know somethng nasty is on its way!
mandy  :pig:

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 11:51:16 am »
It's wet and wild in West Cumbria today too. I thought I would leave the hens in the ark today but the wind thought better of that and opened the door, god only knows where they have blown away to.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Survival
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 12:58:57 pm »
Very blustery here in wales , but it is the rain that will cause problems if it doesn't ease up soon .the ground is already saturated , the river is full and it is still p*ssing down !, glad i live on a hill ! Oooooh spooky ! As i type the rain just stopped .

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 12:59:50 pm »
It's been very windy here, but the goats have been out, (trees planted for shelter), skies are darkening so goats are now in, haven't seen the hens, obviously sheltering under the shrubs somewhere, (I hope!), ducks are very noisy and excitable, lucky they are low to the ground (call ducks), but if they flap their wings who knows where they'll end up :o.
Just been starting to rain.
(Yorks/Lancs border)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 01:14:03 pm »
ooh, that pic of the caravan made me shudder.  At least mine is still upright - or was when I left it this morning. People in neighbouring caravan have a big awning, with all their kitchen stuff in......it took off in the high winds and a man in the next caravan along was chasing plastic tables, and trying to hold on to the awning.  He succeeded, but to drivers on the road probably looked like someone trying to handglide ;D

High winds have returned in the night - can not stand up outside.  Little pigs are determined to play out, and little Lucky who is smaller than some of our Tom cats, may well blow away, and the young bantams are out somewhere, too.  Will have to go and check they have not been blown over the wall into the lane.

Village had tree lighting last night, so all the little trees above the shop doors will be taking a battering, if they are still there, that is.

Have a lot to be doing outside, but hard work pushing barrows, and things like uncovering the large straw bale to get some off, is a no no, as  I will lose most of it to this wind.

Penninehillbillys rain will be along shortly ......the speed the wind is blowing I reckon very shortly ;D

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
Survival
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 03:12:05 pm »
Wind and rain gone completely , seems too quiet now !

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 10:22:10 pm »
Our 40 kg chimnea was blown 12 feet across the patio.. that's not unusual ?

Yes it is , the wind was like an express train thrashing it between Peterborough and Doncaster  .

We are on the sheltered west lee of the hill , with evergreens and wood land to the east and north
 we ended up with about five inches of water in the barrow from last night and a further four inches this afternoon .. Now it's all stars and a smiling quarter moon but it is getting cold enough for a light ground frost in the early hours .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 10:24:50 pm »
We just had graupel but no doubt it'll melt and add to the swamp..... perhaps not just yet as it's also clear and starry here now :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 11:14:58 pm »
We just had graupel but no doubt it'll melt and add to the swamp..... perhaps not just yet as it's also clear and starry here now :)

Oh-oh.  Still strong winds here, but not now so strong we can't open and safely close the big doors on the sheds.  Incredibly some of the ground is almost dried out, there's been so much wind.  But we have a lot of rain forecast for Weds night, so it'll all be sodden again by Thursday.

Piglets are living in the cattle shed at the moment, they haven't grumbled about not being outside once. :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

princesspiggy

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 09:49:28 am »
well we lost our shed last night,lovingly built last week to sell our eggs -  totally flattened and the very heavy cubby house took off too.
last time the trampoline was on the roof but suprisingly it didnt move.
beautiful day now tho
 :wave:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 09:58:14 am »
rather gusty up here this morning. we are ment to have 80mph winds can well believe it. did you hear about the drought. have they not looked out of their windows.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04:16 am »
Oh princesspiggy, its awful when the winds are destructive and spoil our things.

Had another sleepless night, with high winds and torrential rain.  It so worries me that the roof will take off from the stable and go across the lane onto my stuffy neighbours garage roof again.

This morning my field is full of cardboard as the bags for recycling the neighbours put out for collection have blown away - and I cannot see either the neighours or the council coming to move them somehow.

Nice calm day now .....but bitterly cold  (and muddy after all that rain)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS