Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs on marsh?  (Read 3493 times)

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
Pigs on marsh?
« on: February 11, 2009, 04:56:20 pm »
We have a 3 acre marsh and i was wondering how well the pigs would do down there, has anyone ever kept pigs on a marsh before? Its very wet in the winter but dry in the summer? they are mangalitza's so pretty hardy, other peoples views would be gratefully received!!  emma :-\  :-\  :-\  :-\ :pig: :pig: :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Pigs on marsh?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 06:32:09 pm »
We have a 50/50 marsh to dry ground holding.  The pigs adore the marsh, particularly now when they have access to the sedge whose roots are much sought after.  However they must have a dry area to stand on, and of course a dry area for the arc.  Needs a fairly large dry area as the pigs can poach any area very quickly.  Again it depends I suppose on how many pigs and how big an area.  Less pigs on a large area would mean less poaching.  Rereading this is not particularly helpful.  Sorry. 

Unless you just keep pigs in spring, summer and autumn then send them to abattoir and start again following spring???

HM

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 07:01:06 pm »
Thats what i was thinking, think winter would be way to wet to keep them on, There is a arc down there already and a small amount of hard standing (enough to feed and water only). It's about 3 acres and pretty dry where the arc is (grass not reeds). I've got 4 young gits that i don't want to put to the boar just yet, they are my first babies and i want to make sure they are mature enough before mating they are 5 months at the moment. It'll be a couple of weeks before i put them there as the fencing will need checking, its had goats and ponies on a while ago (about 3 years), but not to sure about the pigs? Is there anything i will need to look out for, i don't want them eating anything that'll harm them? :) :) :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 07:03:40 pm »
And yes this is very useful  ;D ;D All advice is gratefully received. Thank you so much!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :pig: :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:55:39 am »
From my own experience, which is admittedly limited, I have found that pigs dont eat anything harmful to them.  I understand that bracken can be poisonous, ours rooted it out, leaving it to die, whilst disposing of the bramble roots very enthusiastically.  Now they are into sedge.  I dont know if Hilary actually ate the bullrushes, but they disappeared when she got into the nearly dry pond.  I should go for it. 

HM

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:36:39 pm »
Ours are on marshy ground and most especially in winter, a pig won't eat anything that is poisonous to them,
ours have taken down, bracken and heather in recent times,
their taste, we believe will have a slightly more "gamey" flavour to it,

Pigtails

pegusus pig

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Anglesey, North wales
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 11:03:08 pm »
Thanks for that, been for a walk around today. IT A JUNGLE!! ??? :o  :o :o ???  It was expected really not been used for years. Think i will pen about half an acer off and see how it goes, now you've reassured me that they wont eat anything harmful (don't think there will be much that will cause harm as it did have stock on in the past) Its a bit wet at the moment but will give me time to get fencing up. Will keep you posted as to how i get on. ;D ;D ;D :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 08:56:47 am »
With pictures ...?  please 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS