Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice please - goat is making pig noises!  (Read 5099 times)

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
Advice please - goat is making pig noises!
« on: November 20, 2011, 10:42:31 am »
Hiya,
Quick question please people.
I have a nubian / pygmy cross which was a rescue goat, who we think is approx 2 years old. We have had her for 6 months and she is now back to full health.
I have just introduced 2 Golden Guernsey whethers who are 7 months old.
For the first week, everything was normal - usual headbutting and sorting themselves out, but all settled down. Now, after 10 days, Cindy-Loo has come into heat and got herself all excited. Usual signs - bleating day and night, wagging her tail. This time though, its different. She is following the smaller GG (Timothy) around non stop, but ignoring the larger GG. Her bleating occasionally comes out more like a pigs oink or a cows moo. Yesterday I could swear she was trying to talk human. She has also developed a a snort, and I cant tell if its connected or an isolated issue.
Sounds to me like she has dust up her nose. She is eating and drinking as normal, and has loads of energy. As normal.

So, I have 2 concerns. Has my Cindy-Loo got a snotty nose and does she need treatment, or is the sniffling associated with her seeing boys for the first time? Im hoping it goes away in a day or two when she realises the boys are not quite what they appear....
OR
is there a chance the little boy hasnt been castrated correctly and is still smelling like a complete billy to her?
If so, how can I check, other than have a look?

I have a video of the funny noises, but cant see how to post it here!

Thanks in advance!  :goat:

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Advice please - goat is making pig noises!
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 12:08:42 pm »
The funny noises I'm sure are excitement!
Mine do a sort of snort/sneeze in alarm too - normal goat noise, nothing wrong with their noses.

It's possible your wethers weren't 'done' properly - have a feel, if they were ringed there'll be nothing there and if they were done with the crushers, there should be sacs but nothing in them.

She might just be making up to him because he's the best there is! Are you going to mate her - you have just about 24 hours, from her first shouting and tail-flicking to do so, if you are.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »
I'll never forget the first time I heard our billy goat doing that "snorty" thing blowing his lips out liek blowing a raspberry!
the noise was tremendous - we dashed across the garden in alarm to see what was going on!

It sounds like Cindy Lou is making all the "attractive" goat noises to flirt with the boys :D :goat:
Little Blue

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »
Goats do make some strange noises sometimes. We have a goat that almost barks, usually when she is telling the others to get out of the way.

northernengine

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:35 pm »
Thank you people - things have calmed down a little and shes back to normal, without the snotty nose.
Im also pleased to report our little boy has nothing left of his, er, boyhood  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS