Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter pots, what are you planting this winter.  (Read 2416 times)

Miss Piggy

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Cardigan Bay, Ceredigion
Winter pots, what are you planting this winter.
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:43:06 pm »
Hi, Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for plants suitable for winter colour in pots. I must admit I usually plant up with winter flowering pansies or polyanthus but would like to try something a little different this year. The winter weather is usually fairly mild as we are by the coast, however the last couple of years even here it was cold with temps well below zero for a few weeks. We can suffer from a cold strong wind blowing off the sea at times. I have pots by the front of the house, east facing and the back of the house south facing. Any suggestions gratefully received. :xmas:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Winter pots, what are you planting this winter.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:26 am »
for an affordable but colourfull display try your local supermarket. Morrisons and lidl aften do the following which look great together in pots,

goldcrest conifer, varigated ivy, out door cyclamen, coloured heathers and red berried wintergreen. The contrasting colour and texture will give your pots a bit of sesonal cheer. you could also plant your hanging baskets up this way but leave out the conifer and restrict the root growth of the ivy.

Send us a pic too please. ;D

Buffy

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Winter pots, what are you planting this winter.
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:06:45 pm »
Poundland have heaps of conifers for £1 each just now.  No idea what variety though so they may grow fast! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS