Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cost of Couriers / Animals Travelling  (Read 3733 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Cost of Couriers / Animals Travelling
« on: November 16, 2011, 06:46:03 pm »
I've been offered a twinset of bagot girls but I would need a courier because they are coming from Hampshire to the Scottish Borders - a long way.  I'm concerned about the stress for the goats and haven't a clue how much a courier would cost.  They are ready to go now.  Is anyone getting a courier in the next month or so to share costs or any other ideas?  Also is there restrictions on how far livestock can travel without getting outside to exercise and graze? help please, thanks for reading.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Cost of Couriers / Animals Travelling
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 07:28:53 pm »
The following should help:

Title: Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order (as amended)Category: England, Wales and Scotland Law

Date: 1997, 1999, 2006

Reference: SI 1997/1480 [Full text] (amendments include SI 1999/1622, SI 2006/3260 - England [Full text])

General Description:

This legislation re-enacts the Welfare of Animals during Transport Order 1994, and applies the EU rules on animal welfare set in 1995 (Council Directive 91/628/EEC). It imposes restrictions upon the transport of livestock through the introduction of Authorisations. All commercial transporters of vertebrate animals must possess either a general or a specific authorisation. Specific authorisations apply for the transport of sheep, cattle, goats, pigs and horses for journeys of over 8 hours in road vehicles and for all journeys by sea or air.

From July 1998 all staff transporting livestock under a Specific Authorisation must be able to demonstrate that they are competent to handle animals in transport (either through a relevant qualification or through an assessment of practical experience).

Specific provisions are as follows:

General provisions on the protection of animals in transport

Transport of an animal must not cause it unnecessary pain, injury or suffering.
Transport by air or sea shall not be allowed if the commander of the vessel thinks there is a possibility of injury or pain to an animal (e.g. through adverse weather conditions).
Adequate space must be provided for an animal in transit.
Mammals and birds which are likely to give birth during a journey, or which have given birth in the last 48 hours, or which are newly born and whose navels have not yet healed, must not be transported.
Infant animals who cannot yet feed themselves must not be transported without their mother.
Where animals fall ill during transport, it is the duty of the transporter to provide care in the form of first aid, and if necessary by contacting a veterinary surgeon.
Floors of receptacles must be durable and free of protrusions which might injure an animal. Receptacles must also be escape proof, and noise must be minimised.
Lighting shall be adequate for inspection purposes, and safe (un)loading
The receptacle must be cleaned before the loading of animals for a journey. Unless animal waste is removed regularly, there must be plenty of litter on the ground.
Journeys to slaughterhouses or veterinary surgeons are exempt.

Feeding, watering, travel times and rest periods (Cattle, Sheep, Goats, Pigs, Horses)

Journey times shall not exceed eight hours
The eight hour limit can be exceeded only if the following requirements are provided for:
There is sufficient bedding
The vehicle carries the necessary food for the animals and the journey time
The animals can be accessed directly
The ventilation is adequate, & can be adjusted according to temperature.
There are movable panels for the creation of separate compartments
Vehicles are equipped so that they can be connected to a water supply during stops
In the case of pigs, enough water for the journey must be carried on board, and the journey must not exceed 24 hours.
In the case of cattle, sheep, & goats, after fourteen hours a rest period of at least one hour must be given, to enable drinking and, if necessary, feeding.
At the end of a journey, animals must be unloaded, fed and watered & rested for at least 24 hours.
Journey times by train must not exceed eight hours.
Additional requirements are laid out for animals which pass through a market where documentation is unavailable.

The 2006 Order makes provision in England for the administration and enforcement of Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2005 on the protection of animals during transport and related operations.

Pertinence to Agriculture: Animal Welfare, Transport
http://adlib.everysite.co.uk/adlib/defra/content.aspx?doc=19397&id=19399

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 07:36:20 pm »
Thank you for that cuckoo, it means it is do-able, but I fear the courier costs will be too much for me to cope with at the present time, pity I've been trying to get bagots for ages...many thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 08:33:48 am »
Contact a chap called Gordon George at
http://www.ukgoats.co.uk/ardross.html

He has done a few jobs for me, one very ong one and he was wonderful. Personally I felt that her prices were extremely reasonable. but contact him for a quote and see what you think. Alternatively perhaps you could collect?

:wave:

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:34:45 am »
I meant 'his prices'!! He's deifnitely a HE and not a SHE.

Whoops.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 09:31:51 am »
Gordon is wonderful where goats are concerned... wouldn't use any other person..... think his costing might be in the region of £250 give or take a bit, based on other journeys of similar length.

He does do shared trips as well  if health certificates permit it.

Gordon has all the necessary paperwork/accreditation to do long journeys.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:08:31 pm »
Thanks for that all, I think it's just going to push our finances too far at the moment, we're throwing thousands of pounds literally at getting our house and other buildings up and running and it hurts to say the least.  It was an agricultural college that contacted me via my ad on the rbst website.  They're near London - I'm sure they will get a lot of interest west england where there are lots of smallholders.  Think I'll have to let them go, some will come up nearer I'm sure...pity.. :'(..thanks for the replies.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 05:31:00 pm »
H theres a guy on the river cottage site coming fron lincs to scotland offering transportation its a flat bed trailer but maybe he will be driving a pickup I dont know was just a thought.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 07:04:27 pm »
Thanks for that, I might put a request in to Santa and see what happens ;)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 06:34:26 pm »
Amanda - you can borrow my trailer (its a small Ifor williams with loading ramp etc) if you have a trailer connection on your car. Can be towed by a normal family car. Ideal size for two goats. I don't need it evey day and we could discuss dates.

If these goats are not for a business venture, you can transport them without the transporters certificate. But would still need your normal SAMU forms etc (or they will come with an english form).

Pm me if you want to discuss further.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 07:03:23 pm »
Thank you Anke, that was really kind, thanks so much.  We have a wee size stock trailer actually, I just don't fancy the journey and the couriers are expensive.  Palacerigg have Bagots, we got our most recent lambs from them.  They only had a Bagot billy this year but hopefully they may have some females next year.  I can wait, we're up to the eyes in major building renovations right now, not living in our own house etc and its all a bit stressful, so best to think about it all post christmas.  I'll contact rare breed farm parks nearer the borders though and see if they have any or are likely to next year.  And actually, I must say I feel uneasy about taking two wee 6m old goatlings on such a long journey without their mummy, doesn't seem right, but that's what happens with very rare rare breeds I suppose.  Thanks again Anke. :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS