Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help on coop info and organic feed please.................. thanks  (Read 2785 times)

Geeza

• Joined Mar 2009
I have an area of 12 x 16 ft outside run enclosed with a metal fence this attaches to the front of a brick built shed measuring 12 x 7 ft with a Childs shed too. The Childs shed is going to be converted with nest boxes etc. Will it be better putting the chick shed indoors? Or left outside. Would I be better off removing the entire front wall or half or what?? Any advice please

These are going to be for eggs and meat. We want to be organic preferably but what will this entail.. What do total organic chicks eat? Is it totally veg peelings etc and how do these have to be processed? How many happy birds could I house in an area like this (NO I DON’T WANT TO PACK em in!!) I Thought of 12-15 is this ok??
At what age do they start to lay?
At what age do people say they are prime for eating?
Is there a tried and tested method for continuity in this method NB we will not have a cock

Thanks in advance

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Help on coop info and organic feed please.................. thanks
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 03:53:09 pm »
Geeza, I wouldn't know where to start with all those questions. Do you mean 100% organic or just free range, naturally fed. you can get organic poultry feed from most agricultural feed suppliers, but can you gaurantee your veggie waste is organic? Some layers start at earlier ages than others, but usually 5-6 months old, same for eating, how big do you want them. All depends on type and system of feeding. The childs shed? might not be big enough for the amount of birds you want. the run might soon become too small as the birds will mess it up and scratch up any grass or plants. a cockerel is needed for fertile eggs but not if you just want the eggs for eating. Have a look at the practical poultry forum there are lods of sections on such topics and very usefull information and guidance. good luck :chook:

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 04:36:51 pm »
You should allow MINIMUM of 30 sq cm/4.7 sq ins per hen. Also, although hens will live quite happily of veg peelings you are unlikely to get much in the way of eggs. You really need proper chicken feed to ensure a balanced diet and to ensure that they receive enough protein to produce eggs. There are plenty of organic feeds available.

Geeza

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 06:51:54 pm »
thanks yes have looked into it and will be using feed as well as veg peelings

Thanks

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 08:50:26 pm »
Start with three hens - they lay best in their first season, so if you start with ten for example, you'll have to get rid of them all at the same time. If you're happy to do that, fine but you may want to get say three a year to replace those that "fall off the perch".

You can eat spent layers but there won't be much on them - good stock for soup. For eating you either want surplus cockerels (if you hatch eggs, you'll always get cockerels) or meat birds.

To be truly organic in terms of marketing, you have to be registered with a certification body like the Soils Association. For most people, that's not an option (too dear, too many rules). As previous posts say, you can buy organic layer pellets and organic mixed corn OR you can buy GM free versions which are cheaper. Your call, really.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS