Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: paper bedding  (Read 5544 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
paper bedding
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:48:44 am »
Does anyone have experience with shredded newspaper as bedding? I saw that on "It's not easy being green" and I wondered if it is a good idea for our ducks' night time accommodation, maybe mixed with the straw or hay. I already put paper down underneath the hay, which helps a lot with the cleaning it out and it keeps the floor dryer. I just noticed that they ripped some of it, probably when they build a nest. Can it be harmful if they eat paper? :&>

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: paper bedding
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:41:15 pm »
I did try it one winter for my horses, did not like it much as it was hard to muck out being wet and was more work than shavings or straw.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:54:08 pm »
Hi,
I've not done it myself (what with not having my chooks yet) but after a quick 'google', I think that newspaper should be safe enough to use - in the states they seem to even use paper bedding for cows.
All the toxins that used to be in the ink are no longer allowed, instead organic pigments are used - that said it doesn't cover the junk inserts that you get in the papers (so I'd avoid them just to be on the safe side)
It'd make sense to use paper - it ends up in the compost anyway, this way it'd just be mixed with the poo before it goes in.
Good luck & let us know how you get on  ;D

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:20:15 pm »
We've used it and unlike straw, it gets soggy very quickly.  Not a good buy, but if it's your own and free just be prepared to use more of it.   Oh, and by the way, keep it well away from sheep.  Our neighbours used it for bedding for in wintered lambs and they ate it!  Nearly killed them as it stopped the rumen working.

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:26:48 pm »
I've tried sheets of paper under the straw and it's a nightmare to left when wet.  I just used plenty straw now.  I use newspapers torn into strips for puppies when the bitch stops cleaning them as the strips get turned over with the pups romping around and covers the poo. Makes ofr much cleaner puppies! ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Helen

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 09:29:44 pm »
I have used shredded newspaper in the nesting box in place of straw.  Tends to get wrapped around the hens feet and ends up all over the garden or stuck to the eggs.  I've tried long shreds and short, the latter is best.  Currently using hemp over newspaper sheets as bedding under their perch. 

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 12:29:37 pm »
I've tried it now mixed with hay and I don't think I'll bother with it again. Our shredder is rubbish, took forever to get a decent amount done and it does not turn out nice even after one night. I'll stick to a few layers of paper or a sheet of cardboard underneath the bedding, which keeps the floor a bit dryer (much less mould spores to deal with since I've been doing that) and I can just fold it up to take it all out.  :&>

Rumpleteazer

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 04:50:43 pm »
We use it with our pet rats and it works well - not sure how well it rots down in the compost yet though as we have only just started using it. Not tried it with the chickens - just using straw at present and that works well enough for us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS