Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please - burnt jam!  (Read 13470 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Help please - burnt jam!
« on: August 27, 2011, 09:52:21 am »
Hi All,

I overcooked my rasberry jam and a layer of it has fused to the bottom of my jam pan. I have tried soaking it in soapy water, boiling it with rubarb and water and finally spraying it with Mr Muscle oven cleaner.

It wont budge.

Any suggestions to clean it greatly appreciated,

Buffy

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
Re: Help please - burnt jam!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:54:45 am »
what about washing powder or soda cystals maybe boiling it gently and leaving it to cool i prefer stainless steel pots i can use a metal scourer on it maybe try googling to to get burnt food off bottom of pots have you tried scrapping it with a spoon can take alot of the burnt stuff off plus maybe allow water to get under the burnt food some people use cola brown sauce not sure if it will work

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 11:28:11 am »
Not good but washing soda and hot water and leave to steep for a good while and then elbow grease. If you need a scourer to remove it after that try bicarb and rock salt.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 04:30:23 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions,

having tried several without success I googled it and tried a suggested method of reheating it to release the bond. the jam went dry and brittle and was easy to scrape away with a palet knife. I'm giving it a soak with soap powder now and may try more oven cleaner before re heating it again.

Buffy

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 05:26:29 pm »
Buffy, I am so grateful for that post - I had to look it up as I seem to be burning something every second night at the moment, what is it, Alzheimers, age, exhaustion  ??? ??? yesterday it was marmalade, very bad, and I was only away for 1 minute....  ::). thanks to you I could rescue the pan! :bouquet: :&>

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions,

having tried several without success I googled it and tried a suggested method of reheating it to release the bond. the jam went dry and brittle and was easy to scrape away with a palet knife. I'm giving it a soak with soap powder now and may try more oven cleaner before re heating it again.

Buffy

Careful if the pan is aluminium & you're thinking of using a caustic oven cleaner the two are not compatable and may also produce nasty toxins in cooked stuff after.

An  old well tried working idea for cleaning any pan with burnt offerings on the bottom  is  an egg cup or so of fine sand and scrub it in with a block of soft wood along  with a bit of soapy water pus elbow grease along with  lots of repeats and rinsing with cold water.

Some dishwasher powders and dishwasher tablets  are also fairly good at loosening things off but watch out not to use your bare hands when using them . Wash any residues off your skin immediately , also read the instruction some say don't use on aluminium items.

If you are indeed using an aluminium  pan & it has a thin bottom insteead of a more modern 1/4 inch thick heat dissipating base ...perhaps  think along the lines of getting a decent loud timer then cook & test the jam in timed 4 minute boils ,  get a sugar / jam thermometer (£6 ish ) off the internet and also a heat diffuser pad/screen big enough for the pan to sit on whilst cooking / boiling the jam .
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 09:10:15 pm by Plantoid »
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:21:27 pm »
Personally, I'd bin the pan - unless it was a particularly good one.  They are very cheap to buy these days, even good quality ones.  I'm about to stand myself a new lot as I regularly burn stuff too.  It's an inherited trait - my grandmother once burned two bolied eggs :o
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS