Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What is drench & twin lamb disease  (Read 19075 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
What is drench & twin lamb disease
« on: February 16, 2009, 06:46:40 pm »
My 5 ryeland ewes are due to lamb after 15th March for the first time so am only expecting singles. What is twin lamb disease and what is drench  :-\  As you can tell I am new to all this. My brother-in-law will be on hand to give advice at lambing time but as a midwife I have my gloves at the ready  :P I am feeding them as advice given on this site and they have minerals. Is there anything else I should be doing  ::)  :sheep:
Karen

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: What is drench & twin lamb disease
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 07:04:59 pm »
Twiin lamb disease is a lack of energy due to the lambs taking it all up out of the ewe. The drench is the liquid product which you give to the ewes that are suffering with it. This drench contains energy to help the ewe get back on her feet. My way of dealing  with the problem for many years is if a sheep is suffering from twin lamb they a give them a bottle full of lucozade straight down, works wonders.

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 07:42:21 pm »
we've used that loads of times Tirdu...............also another good one is porridge and brown sugar  ;D  i also put black treacle on it  ;)

glucose is a good quick fix its absorbed very quick so gets to work alot quicker
Make your words soft and sweet, as one day you may have to eat them.

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 08:02:18 pm »
Did the lucozade work 4 u then dandanns? Certainly does for us ?  ;D

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »
yep does, andhaving the chemist at the end of the lane means its there at hand when ever we want it ;D

tirdu

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:16:40 pm »
Handy, we always buy them when there on offer at aberystyth when doingg the weekly shop :D ready for the season.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:57:38 pm »
Twin lamb disease is a bit more serious than just a lack of energy, although it caused by a lack of sufficuent energy in the diet, usually because the sheep are carrying too many lambs and don't have the body capacity to eat enough food to meet their energy requirements. In this situation they start to break down muscle to meet energy requirements causing ketosis - BAD.

Treatment is very difficult and if you are getting lots of success with twin lamb drenches then your sheep probably haven't got true twin lamb disease. Mortality tends to be about 90% once ketosis sets in.

If you can get them eating then they might pull through, egg yolk, milk and black treacle is as good as any lamb drench you can buy - provides energy and something to get the rumen working. If the ewe lambs or slips her lambs then she has a better chance of survival.

It is a depressing thing to treat as treatment is generally so unsuccessful - but can be prevented to a large extent by good management
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 09:08:34 am »
I was in our local farm supply shop yesterdady and was bewildered by the variety of "lambing" products for sale. It's worse than Mothercare! I'm sure I don't need all of them ... Do I?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 04:01:31 pm »
No you don't - you will as time goes by get together a group of "favourite" products that work for you.

Thermovite from Tithebarn is our favourite.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

danndans

• Joined Jan 2008
  • aberystwyth
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:35:06 pm »
porridge oats and brown sugar works a treat too  ;D 

but like vss say's when it kicks in you'r fighting a loosing battle most the time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS