Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bantam hatched more chicks - updated!!  (Read 2578 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Bantam hatched more chicks - updated!!
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:55:07 am »
One of the bantams hatched chicks in August, reared them, then she left them. I assumed she had gone back in with the other bantams.....last week I spotted her feeding with the hens and she was clucking.  Kept an eye out and saw she was going under the rabbit hutch.  Next time she appeared I went and looked at her nest, and behind the hutch, and under the stock netting was 14 eggs!!  Could not say how long they had been there,  but left her to it.  Last night we had torrential rain, and when I checked her this morning, she is soaked through but still on the nest .....and  there is the sound of cheeping, so something has hatched.

Last October, she hatched 4 chicks under the hay feeder - prefers the outdoor life.  Once  I am sure no more will hatch, I will attempt to get her and the chicks to a safer place.......the farm cats will spot the chicks once they come out to feed.  Not sure how I will reach her though, its a right awkward spot!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 10:55:00 pm by Roxy »

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Bantam hatched more chicks
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 02:10:47 pm »
Banties are experts at dis and reappearing! You think the fox has got them them then, all of a sudden as you are putting the grain out there they are. Then you turn away for a couple of seconds to fill a drinker, turn around again and they've gone :o A couple of weeks later out they come demanding food for a dozen or so chicks  ::)

Eggs, Chicks & Hens

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 11:23:51 am »
I have LF mixed breed bird sat on 11 eggs it will be her 3rd brood this year, Just had a Warren hatch 6 out of 9 eggs off,wonder if it's the crazy weather making em do it LOL

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:36:22 pm »
I do wonder about the funny weather - at one time you never had chicks hatching this late!!  And I am surprised she laid 14 eggs - all the other hens are moulting, and we are only getting two hen eggs and two bantam eggs from the lot per day.

She is still sat on the nest - really cold and frosty last night, but I assume the chicks are cosy under the hen.  Seen two heads bob out, no idea how many more.  Will take a box when its going dark, and see if I can uplift the hen and whats under her to a safer place.  The "partial to chicks" cat is in the barn at the moment, so lets hope he stays there.  Other hens seem ok with chicks thank goodness.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
Re: Bantam hatched more chicks - updated!!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 10:59:13 pm »
Waited until it went dark - pulled the rabbit hutch away from the stock fence (much to the annoyance of the sleeping bantam chicks already in there!)  Bantam was sitting bewtween the fence and the dry stone wall.  Picked her off the nest, and carefully moved her up the fence until she was high enough to lift over, and put in the container.  Looked on the nest, shining my headtorch, and there were lots of chicks!!  Grabbed a handful before the farm cats got to them, then another handful.  Carried them over the field, thank goodness for the head torch!!  Counted them all in the hut, and there was 11 chicks.  One dead in the nest, and two did not hatch. 

I think the bantie did really well, considering them were outside, and so many eggs too.  Some yellow and some black ones.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 09:30:05 am »
A happy ending :) :) :thumbsup:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:03:03 pm »
best of luck to them all!
late chicks & a good mum :)
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS