Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Putting in new beds  (Read 7805 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Putting in new beds
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 10:19:52 pm »
Thanks, Plantoid but at almost 68 I am not going to start cutting up pallets by myself.  I'm useless with a saw anyway.  I'll just wait and see what ideas Donald comes up with when he comes over at the weekend.  He can only spare a couple of hours a week, and he's promised to set up a polytunnel for me as well.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 11:32:04 pm »
Anyone got any ideas on how to make raised beds from pallets without too much work - so I can sit on the edge of them and potter.  Auld age is catching up, or rather two car accidents, so I can't bend or kneel anymore.  I made some years ago from planks of wood left over from building my house, but pallets are the only thing I can afford nowadays - because they are free. ;D  My son will help but I can't leave him to do it all. :-[

I've not tried this personally but I met someone who made raised beds with pallets.  She stacked several then put one on each side vertically to form sides.  This is all lined with heavy duty plastic with drainage holes and filled with compost, so you end up with a bed about a foot deep but that you can work from a standing position.  I think each bed took 8 pallets for a square one although I suppose you could make longer ones.

Hope this is clear.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 12:09:17 am »
I'm not fighting the rotavator just going with the flow it is very wet here on quite heavy clay so every pass I end up a foot taller. The rotavator is very old and had a few quirks so it is slower than using a newer one but great fun and very satisfying. I suppose I would have got more finished if I hadn't usual chores like cleaning chickens and the stables out cooking lunch and trying to get the washing done as OH bless him can't move around to well just now but he did hobble up with coffees and directed me so my lines were straighter. I have no aches and pains so didn't work too hard. And the beds are about 20 meters by 4 meters each

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 09:39:19 am »
Thanks, Plantoid but at almost 68 I am not going to start cutting up pallets by myself.  I'm useless with a saw anyway.  I'll just wait and see what ideas Donald comes up with when he comes over at the weekend.  He can only spare a couple of hours a week, and he's promised to set up a polytunnel for me as well.

If you can get him to just hack the pallets in half do so, then.....

scrounge some old dumpy bags/tonne bags whichever you like to call them. fix the pallets into a square with baler twine ( ;D) and bung in the dumpy bag. fold the excess over the sides of the pallet and fill. Ta da! instant raised beds that you can sit on the edge of.
Also if you have a sneaky early or late frost you can pull the spare bag back up and tie it over the seedlings for a few days to protect them.

Pallets, dumpy bags, baler twine and cable ties, you can build anything out of these!! ;D :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »
I tried the dumpy bags last year - my fruit bushes produced loads of leaves, no fruit, then went brown and they needed an awful lot of watering.  Maybe they were just in the wrong place and I did use soil from the 'cowp' so maybe it wasn't very good stuff.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS