Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To wash eggs or not ?  (Read 5423 times)

aaronsundin

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Aberdeenshire , Scotland
To wash eggs or not ?
« on: November 01, 2011, 02:13:36 pm »
Hi everyone and happy November !
I have just recieved 6 bantam eggs which I will set in the incubator tomorrow . A couple of them a a bit dirty and I've read different opinions regarding washing eggs before incubation. I'm wondering what others do ?  I understand that washing eggs can remove the protective barrier on the shell and can allow in bacteria .  Looking forward to your views !

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: To wash eggs or not ?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:12:01 pm »
Surely if you have dirt on the shells you might introduce unwanted bacteria into your incubator, a wipe over with  a damp cloth with some milton or a very weak iodine solution  should be ok, after all the protective membrane is inside the shell.

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:42:07 pm »
Most suggest not to wash them.

I personally do. If they are filthy I dunk them in warm water for a minute or less to loosen the dirt then lightly wipe clean.
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:53:05 pm »
Why not use egg sanitiser which is designed for exactly the purpose. Available from anywhere that sells poultry stuff.

DJ_Chook

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Mid Wales
  • Chicken mad, nothing else just chickens.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 09:55:26 pm »
... wipe over with  a damp cloth with some milton ...

I too sometimes use Milton. I dip them in a solution once cleaned.

But I do wonder how impenetrable is the egg's protective 'proteinaceous cuticula'? When it's dry is it easily removed? I would imagine when wet it's very easy to remove all trace of this protective layer.

Some breeds egg tint colour is in this layer, how hard are those tints to rub off when the egg is dry or wet?
Chicken nutter extraordinaire.

Eggs, Chicks & Hens

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
I wash mine if they are really dirty....made no differance to hatch x

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 03:26:37 pm »
You can buy egg washing baskets and buckets for large quantities of eggs = we have one which has a thermostat and keeps eggs at the right temperature while they revolve backwards and forwards.  No detriment to the eggs - Never had a hatching problem.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 06:14:10 pm »
I have washed and not washed and have never found a scrap of difference in hatching.

JEP

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:27:36 pm »
we wipe are eggs with damp cloth
before putting in incubator

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 05:46:40 pm »
Interestingly (or not) if you wash eggs intended for sale, it reduces their shelf life.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 09:30:01 pm »

I usually give the eggs ours lay a quick rinse and pick off bits of mud or poo.

We don't incubate them, just eat them ourselves or sell the surplus to friends and neighbours that call round. I think I read somewhere that you're not supposed to wash them if you take them anywhere to sell - same as you're not allowed to call them free range.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 01:35:37 pm »

I usually give the eggs ours lay a quick rinse and pick off bits of mud or poo.

We don't incubate them, just eat them ourselves or sell the surplus to friends and neighbours that call round. I think I read somewhere that you're not supposed to wash them if you take them anywhere to sell - same as you're not allowed to call them free range.

The question was about washing before incubating.

But in terms of washing for eating - the danger is that you can end up washing the dirt in through the shell and make the previously hygienic yolk-and-white contaminated with all sorts!  If you really want to wash (rather than just wipe with a dry cloth) then make sure your washing water is warmer than the inside of the egg, which in theory reduces the amount of ingress of water into the inside of the egg.

The other thing I've heard about washed eggs is that the impervious film on the shell is removed by this, so subsequently germs can enter the egg through the shell.

For eating eggs, it's best not to wash, really  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS