Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Never rains but it pours!  (Read 2293 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Never rains but it pours!
« on: October 23, 2011, 03:59:55 pm »
Well after losing our kitten to a road traffic accident last week and then the highs of getting our Shetland cow this week we're back to a low because my very favourite black jersey Giant cock has died.  I think he was hit by a car right outside my house which is annoying me no end.  It is a private road that cars going to the local quarry use (when they shouldn't) and go tearing up the road.  The thing that annoys me the most though is that whoever it was hit him then just left him to die (which he did in my arms).  I am the only house here and don't think it would've been too much to ask that he/she stop and let me know.  As it was, I think his neck had broken and he wouldn't have made it anyway but it just makes me so mad!  Its a real quandry when they are free ranging because I would hate to have to keep them in but as they are getting more confident, they are going just a little further and the only way I could stop it would be to lock them in.  Rant over x

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Never rains but it pours!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 04:35:08 pm »
Oh dear, I'm sorry.  :'(  I didn't read about your kitten and I am sad about them too.  Would you be allowed to put a slow down sign up warning that animals might be around?  Not that it would help I suppose because people who generally do the speeding are the ones that don't care.  >:(

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 04:53:18 pm »
how sad :(

I get very irate about fast and bad driving ... (as the owner of a cat with no road sense) its just not fair on animals who just don't know how deal with it
Little Blue

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:02:29 pm »
Could you put  >:(a pile or so of bricks/rubble to slow the traffic down? I hate it when people drive around the lanes as though they can see around bends. Worse is when they see something in their path and haven't the wit to brake >:(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:15:45 pm »
Sorry to hear about your boy  :(

Some of our hens are ranging far and wide - I don't know how many folk have come to to door to say "do you know your chickens are out on the road?" It's not a busy road - it's the tradesman's entrance to the Army camp and we get a lot of dogwalkers going to the cycle track / golf course / Army camp when it's open to the public, on foot and by car.

Soon the chooks will be enclosed in the orchard - how some haven't been squished, I don't know. The two widest ranging are white, so I suppose that helps and I have seen one of them stop the traffic while she saunters across.

Thought I might put up "chicken crossing" signs  ;D

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:18:24 pm »
I think we have decided to fence in the entirety of the garden for them so they'll get to go in the whole of the garden (which is not too small) and also they can go in the byre which they like but its the only way to ensure their safety.  He was a favourite of mine so its very upsetting.  We are also going to put up a slow down sign cos I also cross there with the goats and soon with the cow so they had better slow down or I'm going to start digging pot holes in the road!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 01:16:47 pm »
if it is a private road  are you the owner    do the quarry have a right to use the road    if they do then the owners/management should be made aware of the situation       they usually are very conscious of be painted bad neighbours when it is time to get extentions to there site or continuations when the current planning runs out if the have planning at all (do not laugh at this there was a landfill site just outside Edinburgh that was working away quite happy then applied for an extention locals started to object then it was revealed they did not have current planning      site shut immediately) :farmer:

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 08:51:07 am »
This is so,so sad, losing your animals like that, I feel for you. :bouquet:
It's similar here, they all drive as if they are on their own, tractors and lorries included! It's a country road, not private, but normally quiet and you can't see around the bend. Many have shot into the farm drive by accident coming down the hill instead of following the road.
My mum lost her old and traffic experienced cat that way, she found him in her hedge  - and her road was a domestic cul-de sac! Some drivers manage to speed wherever they are! Noone had told her either, although it must have been the neighbours' teens...
My cickens are not allowed out in the direction of the road here, nothing I can do about the cat but hoping she'll be careful...fencing them in is the right decision to protect them. :&>

Heather

• Joined Sep 2010
  • West Yorkshire
  • Hi, I live in Yorkshire and keep a few chickens
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 11:26:33 am »
Really sorry for you. I have made 2 'chickens loose' signs for the paths approaching my house.  No traffic other than delivery men, but we've had dogs in, chasing the hens, so it says 'please keep you dog under control, thankyou'.  I even added a smiley face, since it pays to be polite, I find!

You can put signs up without permission, as long as you take them down if someone complains.  As I understand it, signs are a civic/planning issue in England.  Like most things, no action will be taken unless someone complains to the appropriate authority.  Of course, some people make a hobby out of doing just that, but not on every street in the land.
Heather

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 03:33:18 pm »
I really feel for you it's a horrible experience to have your pet die in your arms. Here in the New Forest i have seen two separate accidents when drivers have ploughed into ponies. These were ponies i saw from BEHIND the cars that hit them so how the drivers didn't see them i do not know.
In one accident the pony was a grey!! so i think that driver needed serious glasses!! :o  At least i was able to give a statement to the police and both drivers were prosecuted but so many more go unreported

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS