Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Children's riding lessons?  (Read 2315 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Children's riding lessons?
« on: October 24, 2011, 09:31:43 am »
Two of my 4 girls have expressed an interest in learning to ride - it coincides with their birthdays in November where one will be 10 and the other 7.  I used to ride as a child, in fact I used to muck out at the local stables every weekend in return for a free ride once every 6 months  ::)
I was wondering the best way to arrange lessons, I've obviously contacted a few stables locally over th weekend so waiting to hear back but what I'd ideally like to do is arrange some taster lessons to see if they actually like it rather than shelling out for a huge block course (if that makes sense?) some of the local lessons are £17 for half an hour  :o hence my trepidation!!
Just wondered what the current trends are and if you have any tips for me? Thanks Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Children's riding lessons?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:42:57 am »
Don't know much about kids or horses  ::) but we had a similar thing a couple of years ago with my niece she was 8 at the time, adamant she wanted a pony, as they live in the village it would have to be kept at mine(Auntie Mandy's) and i was not wanting to kop having to look after a pony as well as what i already have. A few of her friends had ponies on farms which is where it stemmed from so i suggested to her mum that she spoke to a couple of the parents and suggested she ask them if niece could have a try of their ponies before making the big committment, meanwhile i got her into helping me show the pigs, after a few weekend's 'helping' friends look after their ponies the idea was forgotten about and she now comes pig showing with me every summer and the pony thing has passed.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 10:10:23 am »
My sister is top instructor and she always advises to go and watch a lesson first to watch the instructor! Some have no patience with children and just treat the lessons as roundabouts. A tag along at the back of a beginners lesson is a first introduction, then joining in when ready. A good lesson does not have too many riders so they get quality time learning and not just following the other ponies. You pay for what you get pony and instuctor wise as one good lesson can be worth umpteen rides on the roundabout. 1/2 hr should be plenty to start with and later on when they become good riders I would highly recomend semi private leassons ( for a couple as your daughters) as they would really be taught then.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 10:34:01 am »
Brilliant. Thank you for both replies  :)
Eldest is very into her goats/showing/breeding at the moment so I'm hoping she will be more inclined to stick with goats as we've already got them and I have a fair idea of how to keep them lol unlike ponies - unknown territory!! We have a couple of friends with ponies so I think I'll copy your idea Mandy and get milli mucking out in all weathers to test her commitment  ;)
Thanks for the advice Hermit - very very useful and I will definately stay to watch the instructor. I think we are veering away from our nearest school as I've heard on the grapevine its mainly teenagers leading the kids and no actual lessons as such (we can get that on the donkey's at weston super mare tbh) so will head out to the larger school 15 miles away where they have a brilliant reputation and it means hubby can visit his mum while we are there so 2 jobs done that way!   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 10:51:58 am »
My daughter was wanting a pony, we built two stables with tack and feed area, penned off a riding paddock, water , leccy the lot then she went off the idea and now we have goats and turkeys in there!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:12:18 am »
Personally, I think anyone who wants to learn to ride should learn how to handle a horse from the ground first. I know it must be hard with kids who just want to get up and go, but I think they should learn how to be around horses first and understand their nature and behaviour. There's so much more to riding than getting on the horse's back.

There's a book called "Think like a pony" - can't remember the author, but it's natural horsemanship written for children.

I cringe when I think back to my first riding lessons (and some of the later ones) - kick to go, pull to stop, pull right and pull left to turn.

There's a much better way and it's easier to do it from the start than unlearning what you've already been taught. You may be able to find a natural horsemanship instructor in your area who can help.

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 11:16:15 am »
my daughter nagge off me fr years to have apony and when we got our own place we agreed to get her one....poor wee man now stands around in a field all day and the only affection he gets is from me.  MEgan wouldnt even know if he'd disappeared:(

agree with other comments, try and find some school friends with ponies and get her to hang out with them, there is always someone with a pony who would value some help/company in exchange for a wee 'shot'.

lessons are good too, but be careful what you get.  we paid for quite expensive lessons for our two and i had to tell them that the hat for my daughter was too big and the girth on my son's pony wasn't done up....we didnt go back after that.  i can forgive mistakes but not basic stuff like that!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 07:16:15 pm »
Couple of 'taster' sessions booked in for them and at a reasonable price too. I'll stay and watch.  Have also lined up some friends with ponies who need help with grooming, picking up poo and general maintainance  ;)  will look out for that book Rosemary, thanks x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS