Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Off to the horse sale tomorrow  (Read 5167 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Off to the horse sale tomorrow
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:39:14 pm »
Up at an unearthly hour to feed the livestock, and then a two and a half hour drive up to Penrith in Cumbria for the annual Mountain and Moorland pony sale.  I do find it a bit sad to watch the very young foals (too young in my opinion to leave their mothers) of maybe 4 or 5 months being sold.  The prices last year were very low, and the breeders took a lot of ponies back home with them. 

I will not be buying - already have 8 ponies.  But I enjoy meeting up with friends from all round the country on the day!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Off to the horse sale tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 11:45:04 pm »
Wish I could join you and have a couple of ponies.  A lifelong ambition to own my own horse will never come true now unless I win the lottery :'(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:12:52 am »
Annie, come up and see my boy sometime, before he gets too hairy and muddy. Oh, too late! But you're still welcome to come and meet him.

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 12:34:47 pm »
I love a good day out at the horse sales, i often go to York horse sales you can get some good cheap ponies if you have a good eye, altho if you dont there are a lot of wrong uns? Which is a shame because its usually a last resort for some people to be rid of them!  :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 01:30:14 pm »
Annie, come up and see my boy sometime, before he gets too hairy and muddy. Oh, too late! But you're still welcome to come and meet him.

Thanks, Rosemary, I definitely will.  Let me know what time/day I can come.  Mud/hair nnot a problem - dogs are hairy and get muddy too  ;D ;D
I cuddle all the ponies when I take Allez training in Jane's fields.  It gets him used to them too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:14:00 pm »
I came away without adding any additions to my pony numbers.  But had to use a lot of willpower.  Prices seemed a little better this year, and the ponies, even the foals, looked well.  I did fall in love with 6 foals and could have brought them home. Then I felt sorry for an 18 year old riding mare who probably had given her owner lots of foals over the years, and now she was in the sale .....and also a 2 year old which was ridden into the ring by a man, and they proudly announced it was broken to ride and drive ......such a shame, should have been left a baby for another year.

So I was very good and just bought a nice jacket and a sweatshirt as my little treat :D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 03:44:36 pm »
I hate horse sales and never go anymore. As you say babies being sold just off their dams, 2 year old being ridden, makes my blood boil. I have taken on another two Shetland colt foals from  Shetland both only seen by photo before they arrived. so far they have been here three weeks and doing very well. I look forward to showing them next year. I heard at our local sale at the beginning of October one breeder sold 30 foals and I expect not all of them went to loving homes if any. >:(

Kirsten

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »
The shame of it is there is no control over who buys them.  How can they be allowed to go to people who have no idea of how to look after them.  We have 2 Highlands that we purchaesed recently and it really amazed me how easy it was to buy them!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS