Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This months Homefarmer  (Read 4255 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
This months Homefarmer
« on: November 10, 2011, 12:18:17 pm »
Never buy many magazines due to the cost, but never having seen Homefarmer on the shelves before, and spotting it in the larger Tesco I went in, thought I would buy a copy.  Much grumbling from Husband at cost.  Yet, Landrover magazine is as much, but for some reason that is ok ???

Thought it may be of interest to some people as there is an article on slaughtering - including  how to home kill a pig.  Also an article about bees, and keeping goats in a garden (Anglo Nubians).

Lots of ideas for prezzies for people who like hens too, and some xmas recipes for goodies.

Little Blue, not sure if you buy this magazine, but you are welcome to my copy ....can bring it when I come over.  Like to pass on magazines if at all possible - sort of recyling!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: This months Homefarmer
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 12:33:04 pm »
I was in a feature in HomeFarmer a while back about recycling ideas, but I never have money to buy it to read so missed the article myself.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:41:27 pm »
Oh what a shame you missed your article.  Maybe someone on here has a copy they could let you have?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:42:32 pm »
I got a book token for it so will be putting that to good use soon

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:08:46 pm »

Thought it may be of interest to some people as there is an article on slaughtering - including  how to home kill a pig.

I wrote it!  ;)
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 01:30:51 pm »

Thought it may be of interest to some people as there is an article on slaughtering - including  how to home kill a pig.

I wrote it!  ;)

;D ;D :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:00:32 pm »
Well that answers my next question, being is it any good and is it correct - it will be both if Dot wrote it.

So I'll recomment that mag to a friend in Scotland who's just about to buy two cracking Saddleback x OSB weaners...  :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 07:08:02 pm »
The only mag I buy every month.....I love   :thumbsup: it has a little bit of everything foraging,wine making crafts and lots of interesting article on planting and livestock OH tries to pinch it but I fight him off till I'm done  ;D I won a book a couple of months back in one of their competitions Grarden projects for Ruffians lol suited me down to the ground  ;) 
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 09:09:49 pm »
Little Blue, not sure if you buy this magazine, but you are welcome to my copy ....can bring it when I come over.  Like to pass on magazines if at all possible - sort of recyling!!

Ooh, yes please, if you've finished with it!
Sounds like alot in it that we relate to :)

I got a load of old gardeners' World & Countryfile mags from the charity shop the other day - 10p each!

we subscribe to Country Smallholder, as an annual present to each other.
 the shops round here rarely stock it, or Home Farmer - you have to be quick to get the single copy!
And of course there are better deals on subscription  :)
Little Blue

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 09:45:09 pm »
Well that answers my next question, being is it any good and is it correct - it will be both if Dot wrote it.

Thank you  :-*
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

wendy

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 10:34:45 pm »
I love home farmer so thanks from me you 2 :thumbsup:
A good all round down to earth peoples mag........ :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 08:45:17 am »
I like it too - and I think it appeals to a different market to, say, Country Smallholding or Smallholder.

As a new publication, it's hard for them to get on newsagents shelves - the big retailers charge publishers for a space on the shelves and it's quite a lot of money, as far as I recall.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS