Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what to feed for weight gain/feather growth?  (Read 6183 times)

Henstock

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: what to feed for weight gain/feather growth?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
Apparently it's the lactose they can't digest, there's more info here
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/dairy.html
But like anything I wouldn't think a little bit would do too much harm, I know people whose geese love cottage cheese!!! Parrots that love cheese and yoghurt! None of them have dropped dead yet!  :D

Mel

Re: what to feed for weight gain/feather growth?
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 11:27:12 pm »
When my girls are moulting,especially upon a full one I do not give them layers,I keep them off for 3-4 weeks.maybe longer,I give them Nettex Mineral Powder,I have never got on with the actual spice for some reason.I mix this with cod liver oil and stir into their corn.They have limestone flour as a booster. Some days i hard cook eggs and grind this all up  and then mix this with some corn or with veg.

I know we all try different ways and different treatments which we are happy to use,I am sure our flocks are different and have different tastes so is good to find something yours are happy with. By using the above I can only tell you from experience that they spring new feathers from nowhere and always end up fully feathered, beautiful and shiny :)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 11:35:43 pm by leghorn »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS