Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grey mould probs  (Read 2654 times)

Loqueris

• Joined May 2008
  • Caithness, Highlands of Scotland.
Grey mould probs
« on: December 18, 2008, 12:30:43 pm »
I've never had plants suffer with Grey mould before but I stand to lose quite a few of my plants now if I can't find a solution.
Everything was fine until a few weeks back when I bought all my pot plants into the greenhouse as we'd had severe snow and they were frozen. Of course I can now see that the thawing snow left the plants wet and the humidity in the greenhouse meant that Grey Mould decided to have a party.
I've been removing the top of the soil from my pots as this keeps getting covered and I've been cleaning the plants themselves. It's getting worse, and quicker now though.
Mainly it's attacked the Hebe cuttings I took this year (about 80 of em) and any other cuttings.
Yesterday I scraped off more mouldy soil, cleaned the leaves and have put them all back outside in a sheltered area in the hope that the ventilation will at least be better.
What do I do now????
My greenhouse floor is soil so I'm guessing they're over wintering in that? Would gravelling the floor help? Will Jeyes fluid at least sterilise the floor for now?
What's the best method of cleaning all my surfaces and pots? Up till now I've just scrubbed pots after every use and dunked em in sterilising fluid.
Are there any Fungicides that may help to control it? I've been Cheshunt Compound may help but I've done some research and found a product called 'Mycostop' which is actually supposed to help. I believe that product is sold over here under the name 'Stimagro' - has anyone used it?
Finally, am I best to throw out all my overwintering Strawberry plants as they're badly affected (although do clean up) and get new ones next year?

Sorry for all the questions but I have no experience of this disease and I desperately do not want to lose my plants.

Thanks
Happiness belongs to the self sufficient!

claireS

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Grey mould probs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:55:21 pm »
sorry to hear about your Botyris probs. I have had problems with the grey stuff for years - first in Scotland whcih I put down to the wet and cold local climate and now down south where we've moved. Last year was very damp mind you. I think that you are right- you packed too many plants into your GH and the humidity became too high. No real solution though except to have left the plants outside and covered with fleece? I know that I have a weakness for cramming too many plants into my GH (too soft - can't get rid of any seedlings) and that this must contribute to probs with grey mould. This year I am going to be really disciplined and try not to pack too many plants in!! As for the spores being in the soil - I'm sure they are but they are also in the soil outside and get blown in with the wind!! My GH was new last year and all the pots sterilised yet I still had probs with grey mould so I am not going to get too bothered about deep cleaning everything this year and see if it changes anything! (Obviously every few years I will still have to sterlise everything though to prevent other disease build-up). hope this helps.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS