Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blue tongue  (Read 4569 times)

chris123

• Joined Apr 2009
  • neyland
blue tongue
« on: May 02, 2009, 09:52:43 pm »
a farmer friend of mine injects his own cattle would he be able to do mine when i get them legally that is

all the best
chris123

jg

• Joined Mar 2009
  • gartmore
Re: blue tongue
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:54 pm »
Hi
Yes he can do yours .your own vet has to issue you with the vaccine and they are supposed to only do so if they consider you to be able to administer the injection otherwise they will do it and you will have a call out charge to pay as well.If you have a friend who will do it I would do that and watch so you can do it next time.I have just done my 2 for the first time and my vet kindly organised a coordinated splitting of a bottle with other owners of small numbers of cattle which worked out a heck of a lot cheaper than some other folks I know who ended up buying large dose bottles and chucking most of it away.

chris123

• Joined Apr 2009
  • neyland
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:01:38 pm »
thanks very much
chris123

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 08:32:24 pm »
would  i have to do a new born calf  my cattle where vacinated last year by the chap i got them from he came and done it for me
would i have to re vacinate or would she be carrying the anti bodies

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 12:09:55 am »
hi ashfield farm, you will have to inject her seperatly. BUT not untill she is a month old, 1ml at a month and a further 1ml 3 weeks later................

but due to concerns over the vaccine we are not injecting ours this year, I do however have some in the fridge incase of an outbreak in the surrounding counties.

chickens

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:47:36 am »
Hi

I would be interested to know more about your concerns over the vaccine please as we have a few cows.

Thanks

Nicki

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 09:24:58 pm »
Our calving plan was way out this year!

We had 3 cows all vacinated in march, due to calve july to sept. All second calvers, One didnt calve and kept returning, hopefully is now in calf. One calved jan one a fortnight ago. If the dates are followed back it seems to me the vaccination interupted fertillity.

I have one shorthorn who was AI'ed then vacinated the AI didnt work.

We have two shorthorns that wernt vaccinated, absolutly no problems calved on the dot.

Now it could be coincidence..... but i am not the only one who feels the vaccine has caused  calving issues.

I have spoken to numerous people who have large herds and they are experiencing the same issues. Calving is all over the place, cows who should have calved are calving months later than expected. Cows who had been PDI ed are not calving around dateds expected rarther 3 to 4 months later, all coincinding with Blue tounge vaccination. suggesting the cows may have aborted, due to vaccination.

I spoke at legnth with my vet, who couldnt answer my concerns, but did say they had similar concerns from other farmers. All they did say was the vaccine was rushed out, and the data sheet is very vague therfore there is no comeback on the drug companies who produce the vaccine.

All i can say is i have purchased this years supply, but wont use it unless there is an outbreak within 100 miles of us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS