Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly Strike - should I get antibiotics?  (Read 11649 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: Fly Strike - should I get antibiotics?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 09:08:11 am »
Yep they are very bad, just last night we checked our teaser rams and one has his head covered in fly eggs on a small patch of rough skin. he has been sprayed before for flies but is probably due about now to be done again.
 The flies don't know about how long your spray is effective for they just go for it and lay!
I wonder if flies will become immune to these sprays like worms have done?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2011, 09:19:49 am »
Is it just me or are the flies still really bad this year? We seem to be plagued with them at the mo, and it is nearly the end of Sept! I am glad we don't hae any sheep any just now as fly strike is awful.

Beth

We have had a lot less insects all round this year.  Mind we haven't really had any kind of a summer.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:33 pm »
The fly strike has been a real problem in this area but then it has been warmish and wet nearly all of what passed for a summer.

Another vote for ivy leaves here. 

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2011, 10:29:05 pm »
My breeding ewes up the top windy fields, they seem to have been OK over the last 6 weeks with only two out of 64  (during crofect periods) getting their own micro universe of maggots going on previously during all summer/season.

My ewe lambies in the field down the hill - I've found three in the last week.  Its still warm here - I am bringing them all in for another treatment on monday.

Baz

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 09:19:07 pm »
my treatments are up on the 6th of october and we have a hot week next week, I will be keeping a close eye !!!
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

skyeman

• Joined Sep 2011
  • upper milovaig, isle of skye
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 03:49:13 pm »
hi there one of my sheep wouldnt eat or drink,a sheep farmer of 20 yrs told me to offer her some chickens layer pellets, she ate the lot,kept her on them for 2 days,  no probs ,shes fine :sheep:

waterhouse

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 09:55:24 am »
We saw the signs on one last weekend so rounded them all up.  In fact the ewe in question had a cut which was attracting fly attention but the Clik was doing its job and preventing an actual strike.  We haven't had a bad summer for flies but they're all over the place at the moment, so pretty pleased with Clik.  Still keep a supply of Crovect in case though.

We took the opportunity to crutch them ready for the ram, manicure their nails etc.  I mentioned this to a colleague without being too descriptive.  He looked puzzled so I likened it to to a Brazilian and he nearly choked...

plt102

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 02:32:13 pm »
Thank you guys. So we put a companion with her that had a mild attack and treated them both with extra food, comfy bed and lots of antibiotic cream and magic purple spray as well as a couple of repeat doses of crovect and flystrike plus to make sure all maggots had gone. They are now back in the field looking very happy, if a little bit ragged due to us having to cut away a lot of their lovely fleeces. We saw a couple of timy patches on the other sheep but caught them before they caused any problems. Thank you so much for all the advice! I do love happy endings. Will start treating them early next year to try to prevent rather than treat it.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 02:55:47 pm »
I alway keep coopers spot on in my sheep box as it is fantastic at sorting out strike. I can pop it on without cutting the fleece away straight off and then you literally see the maggots running out of the wool and dropping to the floor.

It is amazing stuff as a treatment for when you have strike.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS