Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boer x problems?  (Read 5578 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
boer x problems?
« on: September 09, 2011, 05:31:10 pm »
Hi
I am thinking of taking one of my Toggs to a Boer male, but recently I have been warned there may be problems with the kids being born, being too big to come out safely.
any comments would be welcome, one of them has is going to a togg male, but this one is unregistered, and I don't want any more females to keep.
-Also would a boer fatten on just grass? or would I have to feed concentrates?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: boer x problems?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:07 pm »
I wouldn't take her to a billy much bigger than her for her first kidding. If she is a good enough milker you should have no problems selling a female kid, especially if you use a good-quality male. Any male kids can always be reared for meat, obviously you would get more through a Boer X, but maybe it is not worth the risk?

I cannot remember if there are Boer breeders on this forum.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 01:49:48 am »
thanks for the reply,
It would be her 2nd kidding, her kids this year were from a HB/BS line, both female, keeping one, but what I got for the other hardly covered costs of serving, disbudding worming etc. Not too bothered in this instance because I'm sure it's a good home, but something in the freezer would be more useful than the hassle of advertising and worrying about where they end up. Unless males grow better than their sisters I'll be waiting for that curry for a long time ;D
I'm sure I've seen boer x's mentioned on this forum, just wonderng if anyone else had heard if there's a problem?

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:23:28 am »
The main issues with dairy goats x Boer is the the kids head and shoulders could be substantially bigger at birth.... which in turn would be a bad kidding with the potential to lose the mother.

It is a difficult one.... there have been many crosses that have been successful.... you could be OK with a 2nd kidder,  but the pelvic shape in dairy goats is rather different to that of a Boer.

The Boers are effectively the Belgian Blues of the goat world...... there were/are many problems with cattle when huge bulls are used.

If you go this route, be prepared for your Vet to do a caesarean at kidding.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 10:03:29 am »
We breed boer goats -  but have limited experience with first crosses - our billy covered our maiden british guernsey and she kidded with no problems.  We also have 2 50% Boer BT's who kidded with no problems.

Regarding finnishing - we have some lower percentages youngstock who are just on grass will introduce hard feed later in year but Boers are very hardy and do ok with good grazing and additional hay/barley straw in winter.  I suppose they will just finnish quicker if fed hard feed than if just on grass.  We feed our goats beef nuts - cheaper than goat food and they only get a little but anyway - none at the moment.  There is a good market at the moment for Boer goats and registered 50% females will fetch over £150.  A carcass would be worth about £100 so more than an unwanted male dairy kid.

The british boer goat society website has information on carcass weights.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 09:27:23 pm »
thanks - all interesting and very useful to know, still undecided, lots of things to weigh up :-\

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:08:52 am »
Good quality registered female kids are sold for at last 150, some for even 200 or higher - so does that not cover your costs?

If you use a good quality billy (with milk figures) you should have no problems selling them. If I deliver I also usually charge for my diesel costs at least.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:50:47 pm »
Good quality registered female kids are sold for at last 150, some for even 200 or higher - so does that not cover your costs?
that's the problem, she isn't registered, I've been told the parentage, confirmed by another breeder, but this breeder never bothered to register her.
The other has a full pedigree so she is going to a pure Togg (if I get this darn CAE test sorted).

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:06:34 pm »
Our experience with our Boer goats is that they kid without problems, even to dairy goatlings. We have not noticed that the heads and shoulders are any bigger at birth than any of the other goats we have had including golden guernseys. The kids aren't double-muscled like Belgian Blue cattle or barrel chested like Texel sheep so there shouldn't be any of the issues associated with extremes of conformation when bred for meat, because basically they aren't that extreme. Also the breed was originally developed in the harsh environment of South African ranches so anything that had problems kidding would probably have not survived. I also know of at least one large commercial farm that would rather have Boer crosses than pure Boers. A female first cross Boer will probably sell for £150 especially if registered with British Boer Goat Society. The dam wouldn't need to be registered but the sire does in order to be able to register female offspring.
As regards CAE testing for one or two goats, take them to the vet (cheaper than a visit) and they just need a blood sample. Some herds will be CAE accredited but it isn't worth it for a one or two.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 06:41:49 pm »
Thanks Hopewell, that gives me confidence to go ahead, I'll worry about her kidding anyway, so this wouldn't be much different :).
I was thinking any kids would be for the freezer but £150 sounds interesting :), however, no presumptions in this game!

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:13:07 pm »
Really glad I'm back on the forum as this was something I was wanting to ask too!

We have 12 2 year old dairy goats who have all kidded this spring and we want to put them to a Boer Billy. We have a market for the meat and we will be unable to properly utilise the milk for chesemaking this year so it seems to make the most financial sense but like you penninehillbilly I don't want to do anything that will be detrimental to my goats health.

I also have the porblem of finding a Regisiterd Boer Billy........

Any thoughts most welcome.

:thumbsup:

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:58 pm »
where are you?

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:45:14 pm »
Depends on where you ended up McRennet- I do know of Boer billies in Scotland.

Beth

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 11:29:18 am »
Anyone know of a billy in the west Yorks / East Lancs area?

McRennet

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »
We are north Nottinghamshire, south or Worksop of the Welbeck Estate.

Does this mean folk might have suggestions for me.......?

McR

(I never made it up to scotland, dreams have been put on hold for a few years. Time to start some new ones!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS