Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Open wound on cats frnt leg  (Read 1777 times)

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
Open wound on cats frnt leg
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:29:28 pm »
Found the cat lying on garage floor today and she had a what looks to me like a burst open wound and she still has feelings on her paw its just down from the elbow it smells bad and lot of puss so just bound it up and see how she gets on

Any help welcome
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Open wound on cats frnt leg
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 07:35:24 pm »
Rat bite?
If there was a lot of pus it could do with a washout with sterile saline (boil a pint of water, dissolve a desert spoon of salt in it & let it cool to body temperature) and at least some topical antibiotic spray or powder, but if she was one of mine I'd give her a shot of antibiotic.
I take it there are no broken bones?

It-needed-a-home

• Joined Apr 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
  • Zeus (our saxony duck)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 09:54:58 pm »
Not that i can see feels intact

Thanks
Well i have cut back and i still have to many !!!! Oh well just as well i love them !!

skidley

• Joined Jan 2010
  • On the Marsh, Kent
    • Fairview Ginger Pigs
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 05:36:05 pm »
Could possibly be a cat bite abscess, in which case I wouldn't dress it, it needs to be cleaned with cooled bolied salt water or hibiscrub or pevidine solution and allowed to drain. If you can flush the wound as well with some of the solution that would help.

Another problem with bandaging just the bit below the elbow is swelling of the toes/feet below the bandage.

I would think she will probably require some antibiotics and anti inflammatory like metacam.

Hope that helps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS