Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sharpening dagging shears  (Read 3329 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Sharpening dagging shears
« on: October 01, 2011, 06:38:02 pm »
Does anybody have any top tips for sharpening dagging shears?

I sharpened mine today - did a passable job I think but if anybody has any good tips I would like to hear about them

Thanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
Re: Sharpening dagging shears
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:01:29 am »
The first step is to make sure the bolt which forms the pivot for the blade is tightened so there is no play between the blades. Of course, the blades must still move easily and the pivot should be kept oiled to prevent rust.

If the bolt or blades have worn, it may be necessary to replace the bolt possibly using one which is slightly larger in diameter. You can often do this by changing from an imperial bolt to a metric bolt or vice versa. Use a locking nut if possible so that the bolt doesn't loosen in use.

Then look at the way the blades have worn. Often the edges at the tips don't meet. The rub a few millimetres behind the edge so very little cutting takes place and grass trapped between the blade tips then separates the blade further reducing the cutting action.

If this is the case, grip the end of each blade in a vice and twist the blade a little until the edges of the tips meet rather than the faces. Use a mole wrench or similar (stillson wrench, large adjustable wrench) to apply the twisting action at the pivot end of each blade. I usually need several attempts to get the necessary twist in the blades but this is better than over twist them. Try to twist each blade the same amount.

It may be necessary to bend the blades very slightly towards each other but don't overdo this as it will greatly increase the rate at which they wear. do this by opening the jaws of the vice so that the are 1-2 inches apart and lever the blade about half way along as if to force the vice jaws apart. This creates a gradual bend in the blade rather than a sharp bend at one point. This is less likely to break the blade. The bend should be almost imperceptible being just visible if you sight along the edge from the pointed end (be careful doing this!).

Then grip the back (non-cutting) edge of each blade in a vice so that the cutting edge is clear of the vice jaws and horizontal with the cutting edge away from you. Use a fine file set so that it slopes upwards at between 10 and 15 degrees and gently file along the edge to create a good cutting edge. 2-3 strokes are usually enough as the blades are thin. Try to keep the angle of the file constant while doing this so the the angled face of the blade is flat and not curved.

Filing the edge creates a burr on the face side of the edge so use an oilstone to rub flat against the blade face to remove this burr. Don't rub the oilstone at an angle to the face as this will destroy the cutting edge but it is OK to rub it flat on the face of the blade.

The shears should now be as good as new and will cut easily and cleanly.

I hope my description of the process is clear enough to understand. If you don't have a file, an oilstone could be used but it is difficult to hold steadily and your hands are at a greater risk of being cut by the blades. If you don't have an engineers vice, you might be able to clamp the blade to the edge of a table but sharpening will be more difficult. I wouldn't try bending or twisting the blades without using a vice as the forces required are quite large and it would be easy to injure yourself if the shears slip.
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 04:25:10 pm »
Thanks NN.

Fortunately thebkades come together cleanly. I dont have a bolt on my shears. They look like this:

http://wynnstayonline.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/7/17977-_-44061-dagging-shears-6.5-inch_1.jpg

But I did do as you suggested - creating a bur and then using a diamond stone flat to remove it.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 11:25:34 am »
Sorry for my long-winded story!

I assumed that your were talking about garden type shears - for trimming the edge of lawns etc.

I haven't had to sharpen the type you have but think that twisting the blades slightly might help if the they aren't coming together at the correct angle.

A file would still work as the main tool for creating a good edge or you could use a grindstone. A large one which rotates quite slowly would be best so that the metal doesn't get hot. The steel looses its toughness if it starts to change to a blue colour.
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS