Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Weiners for land clearing?  (Read 1747 times)

hapibeli

• Joined Sep 2011
Weiners for land clearing?
« on: September 21, 2011, 02:49:21 pm »
Hello from Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada. After I found your site through Google, I thought I'd ask a few questions?
 I'm planning to use 2 weiners from local pig farmer to clear a hillside of brambles, gorse, and a little bit of Gorse (Ulex europaeus).
 I will put them within a 20X20 foot electric fenced area with water, feed and a small house for their comfort. I plan to move the fenced area as they remove the weeds. Is this a viable way of dealing with the weeds? I see no reason to invest in gas guzzling weed eaters and the like. The little porkers will become ham, bacon, and roasts at some point.
 After the hillside is cleared, it will become an orchard of many fruits, planted with grass, and mowed by sheep and/or goats.
 The hillside is approximately one acre, of which a little over half needs clearing.
 There is a deep well at the bottom of the property, will there be any possibility of contamination over the time needed to clear the hillside?
Thank you,

robert waddell

Re: Weiners for land clearing?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 03:06:42 pm »
hello from Scotland
your biggest issue is the well it will get contaminated from run off water even the water leaching into it will eventually get contaminated
20x20 area they will certainly clear that for you in a surprisingly quick time you may find you are constantly moving the fence :farmer:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »
I may well be talking through my second glass of wine but I would put the goats in first, then the pigs? :)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:47:53 pm »
i wanted an acre of rough meadow cleared, nettles ,docks etc....got 2 kune weaners...... job looked far to big for them so got 2 more, still a big job but they are making a difference, may get another 2................ the areas they have done is now fine dirt, raked over it would make a good seed bed, but it looks like a years work , ime in no hurry, rubbish cleared then nice pork.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS