Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Filling the freezer  (Read 3253 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Filling the freezer
« on: September 17, 2011, 09:46:53 am »
Well today I have started by making my first batch of apple pies for the freezer 5 already in freezing. I am going to pick some blackberries for the next batch and may put some elderberries in as well as I have a few lovely ripe ones on the bush out front.
Next will be apple cake for the freezer as well, I have never tried freezing it so may do one as an experiment.
And finally will be apple sauce as you can never have enough apple sauce.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Filling the freezer
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 11:36:50 am »
They all sound delicious. :yum:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »
Well I have 10 in the freezer and then got side tracked with things in the fridge and made quiches, ham and egg pies, zuhcinni slices and a couple of cakes.

Pastry is made for tomorrows marathon on some more apples, blackberries and elderberries.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 12:14:31 am »
Its one thing I didn't realise when we started this whole thing was how much freezer space we'd need. Both of mine are chock full already and we're only half way through the apples - thank goodness the courgettes seem to be dying off at last!
Might try apple and elderberry though - that's a new one to me, thanks!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 06:25:18 am »
Try apple, elderberry and blackberry it is amazing. So is jam made with the same.
I love apple cake so that takes up a few and if my experiment works then I will be putting them in the freezer too.
You are so right about freezer space we are planning on another 2 chest freezers next year to store some of this wonderful bounty as we are increasing the size of our veg patch and planting more fruit trees and soft fruit

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11:58 am »
ellisr, please share your recipe for apple cake?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 10:11:04 am »
Filling a freezer is the easy part...i ve found a bag of plums from last year untouched (OOPS) With the two of us I have to be strict as to what I put in to make sure it gets used...When all the kids were at home it was o problem keeping up with demand, now its the other way round!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:15:02 am »
I never have problems with food as OH has a very healthy appetite and adores my homemade items, the problem I have is not having enough space to store all I need to feed him through the winter. If the kids come to visit I can kiss goodbye to a freezer full of food per week, my lot love there food.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:20:19 pm »
Is the apple sauce finished when it goes in the freezer or is it without sugar or butter?  :yum:

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 01:00:25 pm »
All depends on how you like your sauce to taste. I personally add a bit sugar to make it sweeter but OH like it more tart so I do a few batches

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS