Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Onion Marmalade  (Read 3944 times)

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
Onion Marmalade
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:25:07 am »
Hi,
     Does anyone have a recipe for onion marmalade, I am after a recipe that will keep for more than 3 weeks, I am using up all the small onions and ones that will not keep through winter and do not think I will like having onion chutney on every meal including breakfast for the next 3 weeks!

a rainy day and already crying, not because of weather, 20lb of onions nearly peeled  ;D :chook:

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Onion Marmalade
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:41:52 am »
Bugger, I typed all this once and accidentally deleted it :

2 and a 1/2 lbs. onions
3 tbsns. salt
2lbs. sugar
17 fl. oz. vinegar
1 and a 1/2 tsns. cloves tied in muslin
2 tspns. carraway seeds

Slice onions into thin rings, sprinkle with salt, mix well and leave for an hour. Rinse well and dry.
Put sugar, vinegar and clves into preserving pan. Bring to boil  then simmer for 5 mins. Add onions and carraway seeds and bring back to the boil. Turn heat don to minimum and cook for a good 2 hours or until syrup is thick and onions a golden brown.
Take pan off heat and leave for a few minutes for onions to settle then put into hot, sterilised jars and seal.
Improves with keeping a few weeks and will keep for a good two years.

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:10:31 pm »
thankyou for that will give it a go, having a break from it now whole house stinks of onions  ;D ;D

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:14:37 pm »
I'm going to have to give that one a go. Sounds like it would be perfect with cheese on a cold night in forint o the fire!
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:54:55 pm »
Sounds good to me as well. Those tiny ones I just usually slice very thin and jar them with a good vinegar. It keeps them crisp and ideal for those beef sarnies. Definately doing the onion marmalade tomorrow. Thanks for the thread.

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 03:42:49 pm »
I did the recipe posted by sylvia and it has been a great seller. Second only to beetroot in my 'for sale' box.

Thanks Sylvia  :wave:
Next batch being made tomorrow. It looks beautiful in the jar as well so I do recomend it for those xmas hampers.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 02:57:26 pm »
17 fl. oz. vinegar

Any particular kind of vinegar?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 03:34:19 pm »
I use just white vinegar ,it goes golden when the onions caramalise. I would think malt would be too strong and dark. I have also made a batch with cider vinegar but that was very sweet so I stick to the white. I always make a pickle with white vinegar, except beetroot when I use red wine vinegar. But that is my preference, I would like to hear what other folk use as well.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 03:13:54 pm »
17 fl. oz. vinegar

Any particular kind of vinegar?

I only use cider vinegar but will try with white.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS