Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to get her back in calf  (Read 4702 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
When to get her back in calf
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:44:02 pm »
Troops, Betty had Mooey back in Jun so I was wondering when would be the best time t get her back in calf. Do we wait until next year (Jul for calving April 2013?) or get her back in as soon as? Is that even possible?

robert waddell

Re: When to get her back in calf
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:59:50 pm »
it is really up to Betty when she will calve      ideally you want her to calve year on year      3 months after calving get her to the bull or observe her for AI  it is not always guaranteed she will settle first time the longer you leave her the harder it is to get her in calve :farmer:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:59:06 am »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 06:29:27 pm »
6 weeks after she calves is a good time to start, and you want her in calf as soon as possible, so they calve each year.  Not like sheep, who you wean before they are in lamb again, they will be carrying a calf and feeding their current calf.   Are you going to AI or use a bull?

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 03:24:18 pm »
Most cows come back in to heat 7 weeks post calving. If you leave her till the second heat (three weeks later) she will calve at the same time as this year. If she calved in June she should be cycling regularly. Have you observed her coming on heat at all?
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 08:51:20 pm »
Hadn't really been looking for any signs but will keep my eye out now! More than likely be AI so I'll have to do some reading up.  What do you reckon VSS, belgian blue again? Her calf is looking really lovely, TB test next tuesday which I'm crapping myself about...

Corrie Dhu

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:49 am »
I'd start sooner rather than .later if using AI, I have one cow in calf via AI having done the three cows three times each!  Gave up and got a bull in the end.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 04:44:35 pm »
What do you reckon VSS, belgian blue again?

You''ll have to remind me , what sort of cow is she?

I have one cow in calf via AI having done the three cows three times each! 

AI results can be variable - sometimes you find that one operator gives better results than another, sometimes it might just be that you haven't caught the cow at quite the right time. ou can improve the chances of fertilisation by using a "fertility plus" straw.

We have had two in calf first go this year and the third, has still not held. Given that her udder is getting a bit dickey, I think she will have to go once she dries off  :(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:58:44 pm »
We have managed without a bull this year.  Mostly the cows have held first time.  We have been amazed at how many of our heifers we have managed to get in calf with AI but it has been quite hard work, and several have had to be served more than once. 

The most difficult by far has been Hillie, my Jersey house cow.  I now know that with this kind of cow, you need to keep stress to an absolute minimum around serving time and for 5 weeks afterwards.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 05:21:44 pm »
As always, indebted to your knowledge you guys! VSS, she's a jersey x Friesian, her current calf is crossed to a Belgian Blue.

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 06:19:55 pm »
Blue calf would be fine - a female would make a fine house cow. If you get a male, it shouldn't show too much of the jersey.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS