Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Organic milk?  (Read 2493 times)

Sandy

Organic milk?
« on: September 14, 2011, 07:58:50 pm »
Just wondered what is the difference between milk and organic milk, I can hazzard a guess but not sure as I have been asked!!!!

I worked with a mico bioligist years ago so new the difference of organic flavors to man made ones!!!

robert waddell

Re: Organic milk?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 08:10:00 pm »
the normal milk for sale is produced from cows that graze and are fed on grass and other concentrates that are produced with the aid of chemical fertilisers
organic  to be fully organic are grazed on grass that has not been produced from chemical fertilizer all concentrates that they consume are also grown without the aid of chemicals
it is therefore dearer to produce and subsequently dearer to purchase
the farm that produces the milk has to be certified by the soil association to fully comply with the rules and regulations :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 08:18:52 pm »
Wow, thanks, so really back to nature and how things used to be......the only problem is, birds, mice other rodants and animals can soil the land where cows graze and inadvertently add chemicals, that's if they in turn have eaten stuff with chemicals in, out pigeons here eat chips and Dona meat non stop, I bet their poo could strip the paint of Tower Bridge!!

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 08:29:01 pm »
wild bird s**t can strip the paint of cars
yes wild animals have a free for all the more you dig into this organic status(malarkey) the more nonsensical it all becomes :farmer:

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »
Glad I am not a farmer, choose, organic and have a lower yeild or GM or non organic..thats the question but what are the costs!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:42 pm »
I happen to know that organic cattle feed is round about 50% more than non-organic non-GM.  And that organic milk producers are likely to get maybe 20% more for their milk than non-organic - if they are lucky.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 10:22:45 pm »
The Farmer used to be some one who managed his land, crops and stock, now they are scientists, botanists, economists, conservationists.........accountants, etc etc, hard going indeed

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS