Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A little extra money.  (Read 6957 times)

TomBarbs

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: A little extra money.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 06:48:44 pm »
Hi all,  :wave:

Thanks again for all of the great replies, they are brilliant.

In the process of making lists of different products, then get some prices for materials, work out how much i can make it for and compare that to other companies making similar things. busy busy :)

We will keep you updated on progress.

Also, I had a look online at the triangle loom, quite interesting, had a look at a couple of youtube vids about it.
Will look further into it, i actually live next door to a spinner/weaver who has her own traditional loom.

Thanks again

Steven and Zoe.

OldGaffer

• Joined May 2011
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 08:27:13 pm »
I think tizaala has a point, you could consider making bee hives, but this may not be an easy option, as there are several versions used by beekeepers in the UK and with quite a few manufacturers already.

However, there is a simple hive that can be made that is quite popular and that is the Kenyan Topbar hive, there are no frames required as the bees use a top bar to attach the comb. There might be a market for ready made Topbar hive, as not every one is good at DIY. See Phil Chandler's for more information ...

http://www.biobees.com

Some beekeeping suppliers stock flat pack versions, so you can check there prices. But be warned, you may end up keeping bees yourself and have no time to make all those chicken arks :D

calamityjane

• Joined Aug 2011
  • sauchie
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 11:45:44 pm »
what about riding blocks [step mounts so you can get on your horse] tack boxes i have an old wooden chest i put my tack in and can lock it, jumps horsechitchat fb someone is always looking for them beehives is popul are even outdoor boxes for putting gardening stuff in or staging for your greenhouse plant tubs hope this help i'm hoping to get a friend to make me a mounting block and a box big enough for my saddle which i can lock plus its a seat for when i'm knackered and need a seat in my caravan its been cleared i keep my feed in it.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 10:09:33 am »
How about starting a blog on how you make any of the above products with photos and guidance - along with a few recommended plans.

Stick a bit of adsense on it and some relevant affiliate programs like screwfix etc etc

Could be a littel extra on the side of your little extra on the side ;)

Baz

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 02:15:48 pm »
There's a book by a chap called Michael Roberts - can't quite remember the title - Pouultry keepers or Smallholders' DIY or something - you'll find it on Amazon. It has plans for all sorts of handy stuff.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 04:22:53 pm »
There's a book by a chap called Michael Roberts - can't quite remember the title - Pouultry keepers or Smallholders' DIY or something - you'll find it on Amazon. It has plans for all sorts of handy stuff.

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/books/smallholders-diy/

Now I have proven that I know this site better than Rosemary I am going to log off!  (Anyone opening a book on how long I stay away for...?)

(It was just pure luck, honest - I looked at Rosemary's diary, which I enjoy reading, and the book was one of the four that came up in the little tempter box in the corner!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 05:25:01 pm »
Spooky  ;D You're so smart, Sally  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS