Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sows v boars  (Read 4853 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
sows v boars
« on: September 23, 2011, 08:15:38 pm »
For meat production...  whats best in an overall plan sows gilts or boars.... i have 4 KKs complete boys and have been told on here that its easier to introduce younger piglets to the flock if all sows, but would that = less meat, more cost.... but also on older pigs no taint.......... i understand HH has KK gilts, why did you choose that sex? this is forward planning for the next lot. i assume as in poultry the boys are bigger quicker......... as a newby and a side issue why have my 4 boys got rows of teats???????????

robert waddell

Re: sows v boars
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »
why have you got two tits they are of no use to you :farmer:

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 08:43:35 pm »
VERY TRUE.

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 09:01:58 pm »
harry the choice is yours we can only say what we have found or come across
a group of guilt's can accept new members to the herd equally they can reject them  and they fatten depends on how you feed them
castrated boars can be mixed with both male and female groups they fatten the same as guilt's if fed the same
entire males just do what entire males do they will hump anything and everything   they can accept smaller males or equal sized males they do accept castrates and guilt's  they can fatten quicker than females but equally they can put on less growth  it all depends on what they are doing how they are fed how they are housed        soooo what works with Karen and what works for us may not work for you again what can work for others will not work for us       the decision is yours :farmer:

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 08:44:49 am »
Robert is right you need to find what suits you.

We fatten boys (uncastrated) as we find they grow quicker than gilts (or castrates).  We have a fattening group in the woods, and simply add a few new weaners in every month, and draw off finished pigs.  In our experience (the new weaners neither challange or are challenged beyond some minor jossling which is over in a few minutes and causes no damage.  We have not experienced boar taint in 15 years of doing this, but am not a "taint denier"
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 09:45:33 am »
interesting in another post i asked about adding new weaners..... i have 4, 16 week kk boys..... some say they will fight to death, you have no trouble???????????  i will just get 2 and hope for the best... they will be separated by a fence.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 10:07:21 am »
interesting in another post i asked about adding new weaners..... i have 4, 16 week kk boys..... some say they will fight to death, you have no trouble???????????  i will just get 2 and hope for the best... they will be separated by a fence.

I'm guessing one of the differences in whether they'll fight is how much space there is.  Oaklands has hers in a wood - sounds like there's plenty of space and options for the smaller ones to get away from the bigger ones.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 06:27:44 pm »
Yes Harry, it is key that pigs have a "flight distance". 

This is the opposite of say rams, where you put two new rams in as tight a space as possible (eg 6ft*6ft), so they can't back up an charge each other.

With pigs you introduce in a large space.  As they jossle - -mainly shoulder to shoulder -you get a few scrapes on the shoulders but no worse than on your hand if you catch a bramble, and the odd ear bite, but soon the losing pig will decide that he is losing.  if he has room to run, he will run away, persued by the winning pig.  At about 20 yds the winning pig decides that it has won adn stops chasing.  The losing pig runs on for another 10 yards and then sees it is safe to stop running.  Order established.  So about 30 yards is a good distance.  If less, you need to give some chicanes (not sure how you spell it!) by way of bales, or other obstacles.

Just for info whilst oklandspigs is run by Clare and Robin Wilson, it is Robin who posts on here, so oaklands keeps his in woods  :)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:53:00 am by oaklandspigs »
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:55:51 pm »
Just for info whilst oklandspigs is run by Clare and Robin Wilson, it is Robin who posts on here, so oaklands keeps his in woods  :)

I do beg his pardon!   :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:58:33 pm »
ok...i havent got a woods but ive have a forest of nettles docks trees and bambo untill they eat it etc all in one acre divided into 3, plenty of hiding places...sounds like newbys will be ok

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 08:55:14 am »

I do beg his pardon!   :D

You mentally give all posters a gender, sallyinnorth or harry are easy, but some I have posted for years imagining them as male and found that they're female ! and of course Robert was frequently Lillian before the sex change :)
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

nelson

• Joined Jan 2011
    • lelogisfrance
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:49:20 am »
 :wave:  :D- I am a female - posting name "Nelson" which is the name of my first dog. This is an interesting post as we are about to mix some young boars too :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS