Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: PP for wind turbines  (Read 4853 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
PP for wind turbines
« on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:41 pm »
Has anyone in a national park managed to get planning permission for a wind turbine?
Karen

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: PP for wind turbines
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:12:29 pm »
I haven't done it myself, but there are wind turbines on farms in the Northumberland National Park.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 09:02:46 am »
Thanks for your reply. I am hoping to have a wind turbine in the future. One of the farms higher up from me has applied. She said that she had to have a winter and summer bat and bird survey and an ecological survey done to go with the application. The man who came to put the yellow notice up said to them that most get turned down and gave the impression theirs would to saying that the spot was too visible. How can this be right? Why don't they just say you can't have one in this spot instead of putting everyone through this expense. Not that I think they should. I can't see the problem with a turbine on their farm. It's not as though it is a great big wind farm. We are very remote and have electricity only. No mains water or gas. We have oil central heating and that is expensive now and it is getting more difficult to get a company with a small enough tanker to deliver. In bad weather the electricity often goes off. A wind turbine would be great.
Karen

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 09:21:16 am »
Hmmm... I didn't think they were allowed to turn house or farm scale ones down on aesthetics any more, maybe unless it's right on a World Heritage site or something.  (There are several farm-scale ones visible in Northumberland National Park from Hadrian's Wall, by the way.)

In fact I thought the presumption had to be to allow unless there was a really good reason not to.

If it's a bit bigger than farm scale I think they still have to have a jolly good reason - like it's on the approach to an airstrip or something.  The planners ought to be able to at least point you at something that defines the legitimate reasons for disallowing - the Local Plan or other council document, I would have thought.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 12:20:19 am »
I know someone who lives in the Northumberland National Park, and they are not connected to the National Grid. They have a wind turbine, solar panels and a diesel generator.

Beth

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:36:44 pm »
Buy a cheap van or trailer and attach it to that if they turn you down ;)

We are in the parks and I have thought about getting a small scale wind generator - I am aware that I will have to apply to our parks to get it granted, which is always a 'pinta'

It took us 5 months to apply for solar - ie to get an answer stating we didnt need permission.  I guess they are too busy with other matters than to answer requests of such a simple nature in good time.

Baz

Pheasant pharmer

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Ebberston, North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 08:10:28 am »
Our neighbour successfully applied for a wind turbine last year and he is on the edge of the North York Moors National Park, so they had a say in the planning application.

It was all agreed and now exists but there were an awful lot of different surveys required and some could only be done at certain times of the year I think

PP

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS