Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boy discovers microbe that eats plastic 46% iin 6 weeks  (Read 2726 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Boy discovers microbe that eats plastic 46% iin 6 weeks
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 03:55:40 pm »
You must spend all day trawling - you're always coming up with odd links lol
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 04:03:02 pm »
lol, it came up on twitter post (which pop up on firefox) will i was talking to you on msn , lol

I thought some people on here might be interested in it

Linz

sunnyjohn

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Milton Keynes
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 05:30:11 pm »
Ooh! Ouch! How good/scary!

The science is rightly heralded as a potential cure for the mindless mountain of plastic we create and dispose of, to remain un-degraded for generations. But the prospect of a microbe at large that eats plastic can also be devastatingly dangerous. Does anyone remember the BBC 1 series 'Doomwatch', broadcast in 1970/72, in which one episode, called 'The Plastic Eaters' featured the result of such a microbe, that got into the structure of an aircraft and caused it to crash inexplicably. How scary is that, in the light of the recent unexplained air disaster...?

Like a lot of science, it could be a mixed blessing; could save the world or threaten all life! We need to apply common sense and complete openness on this (and all science?). When there are vested interests like multi-national companies and (corrupt?) politicians deciding not only what is permitted, but what we are allowed to know about it, we get things like
  • the government authorising nuclear experiments that kill people,
  • deriving tax income from tobacco whilst telling us it kills people - and then denying how the harm was known about 70 years ago...
  • companies forcing us to accept GM and other science that changes organisms th THEIR advantage, whilst telling us they're doing US a favour!

Bravo for the student. Let's hope he is allowed to benefit lifekind, rather than being paid megabucks to develop something that harms us in the end....

John

kevkev57

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:20:40 am »
Hi John,  Doomwatch eh ?  I remember it but have not seen it for years. I have the orginal survivors on DVD though.

By the way, thanks for your kind comments about my ramble. I intend to do one every Friday here on TAS , until folk have had enough !

Kevin

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 11:24:30 am »
any excuse for me not to go in to the real world will be kindly excepted :)
Linz

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 11:26:19 am »
Don't blame you, Linz.  I wouldn't want to live in the real world next door to you either!  Did the noise start again after I left last night?  You must try to get that wall sound insulated before the baby comes.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:32:00 am »
Went on until about 12.30 but put my ear plugs in so don't really know when they stopped the music

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 04:00:45 pm »
any chance you could move to a better place, Linz? You need a big garden, peace, hens and all that...:&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS