Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Grass keep over winter in herefordshire ( help needed)  (Read 3689 times)

BacheBrook

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Herefordshire
  • BacheBrook Ryelands & BacheBrook Pigs
Grass keep over winter in herefordshire ( help needed)
« on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:21 am »
Hey everyone!

I may be looking at letting out my 7 acres of pasture ground for winter grass keep! It has a good productive sward on it!

But I haven't got any livestock yet so aren't able to graze it myself! Hence why I'm looking at letting it out!

So basically just looking to see how much you would charge/pay if it were you!

I'm looking at letting it out for sheep from middle of October to middle of February, there is any water on the ground so I know this is a factor in the price :D

PLEASE HELP !!!!
BacheBrook x ( Ryeland Sheep)

BacheBrook

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Herefordshire
Re: Grass keep over winter in herefordshire ( help needed)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 11:40:58 am »
I meant there ISN'T any water on it :/

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »
Those with horses will be more likely to pay more money for the grazing, but they will probably want some sort of shelter and access to a water source. The other worry with horses is the fact that they will poach the ground horribly, especially through the wetter months.
Sheep grazing sits about 25-35p per head per week during the winter, the lack of water will not be such a worry but it will be used as a bargaining point to get a lower price by the grazier.
It may be worth while phoning your local auctioneers (McArtneys of Worcester, Bidwells?) They may have a list of local farmers who normally take on grazing throughout the winter and they could set up a proper commercial deal to ensure that you are legally covered and that your money is assured to be paid.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

Dougal

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Port O' Menteith, Stirlingshire
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 03:02:09 pm »
On the water side of things, an old trailer (£20) and a 1000l plastic tub, IPC, (£40) and an old bath (free from a builder doing a place up) and you can solve your water probem permantly.
It's always worse for someone else, so get your moaning done before they start using up all the available symathy!

BacheBrook

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 06:08:23 pm »
Thanks guys! All Your advice is well appreciated! And dougal what an amazing idea :D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »
On a similar theme we converted an ancient truck cab Landrover into a mobile water bowser using a couple of heavy duty posts for support and an IBC. Cant quite fill it to the top tho, with 1000 litres sloshing behind the centre of gravity of the Landy we wouldnt want to fill quite up to the top.....It works a treat and has given the old Landy a new role in life!

If using a cast iron bath (tho with the price of scrap thats unlikely to be free)get some foam pipe lagging for the edges, they can be lethal. If a steel bath. it should be weighted well down. Dont use a plastic one tho, it will shatter in the deep freeze we are promised or when kicked by a hoof. Good luck with finding a suitable trailer!

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:24:07 am »
Ive been using an IBC in the back of my pick-up as a water bowser as well. An alternative for a water trough is one of those big blue barrels. We got ours from a local printers who use water based inks and after a hot pressure wash and a disinfectant they were nice and clean. Then all I did was lay it down and cut an opening in the side. Sheep love it compared to a bath.
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS