Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: candling eggs  (Read 1784 times)

deepinthewoods

candling eggs
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »
could i get some help explaining how to accurately test eggs for fertility please?
for some reason my chickens think its spring and are queing up to lay.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: candling eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 02:47:23 pm »
Candling is generally done after the eggs have been set and incubating for 7-10 days.

You can look to see if they are fertile by breaking them open and examining the Blastodisc or Blastoderm, but  this take a bit of experience.  There are a couple of illustrations   HERE but until you know what you are looking for it is a bit difficult.  Basically a fertile egg shows more of a halo round the outside of the ova, whereas an infertile one is more of a dot.  Sorry can't explain it more clearly than that. 

The best way is to set some and see what happens - though of course I am assuming you have a male bird running with them
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 02:49:18 pm by darkbrowneggs »
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

deepinthewoods

Re: candling eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 03:19:43 pm »
thanks, yep ive got 4 cockerels running with 17 hens and judging by the photo link, ive just eaten two fertile ones. ive not got an incubator so ill wait till i get a broody again, my last cockerel was infertile so its nice to see ill have some potential chicks for the spring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS