Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do cockerels mate with non-laying hens?  (Read 8089 times)

melodrama

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Forfar
Re: Do cockerels mate with non-laying hens?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2011, 09:28:07 am »
Starting to think that I am really lucky because Lenny (who started life as Lottie) is not aggressive at all with me or anyone else.  He is a Scots Dumpy so watching him run as I go near them is hilarious!  He does manage to keep our 3 cats away from the chooks though - not that they wouldn't manage that themselves - so he earns his keep.  He is not the type I want to breed though so he won't last til old age, bless x

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2011, 12:08:12 pm »
Thanks and sorry for hijacking the thread with my George woes ::)  I'm away to find a big bucket and will give that a go but I fear I have blotted my copybook with him and he will not forgive the swipe - he even crowed last night as I shut the door of the coop, as if daring me to think I'm in charge ::)

I wouldn't care but he had got out a couple of days ago and I managed to pick him up and put him back without much effort so thought I was doing great with him ::)  Famous last words I suppose ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 10:42:18 pm »
I find that our boy tries all in the morning to get some but the girls in lay or near lay (apologize the pun  ::) ) are more willing to get caught.  I am pretty sure he's more active when they are laying, same scenario with the drake and ducks.
Ellie ,you can try to take a water spray bottle (or kids' water gun!) with you and give him a good dose when you go in - surely he'll know who's boss soon!
 :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS