Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solar PV and Everhot stove combo  (Read 11299 times)

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
Solar PV and Everhot stove combo
« on: August 27, 2011, 06:54:43 pm »
I must have looked at every wood burning cooking stove on the market and came to the conclusion that when funds allowed I would buy a Wamsler. I have a Yeoman wood burner with back boiler that runs all the rads in the house so the cooker would only need to keep the kitchen warm and cook the food.
Since investing in PV I have changed my mind. I am now looking at Everhot their products look like traditional Aga/Rayburn ranges. The stoves plug into a 13amp socket, have no ongoing maintenance costs and provide about 600W of background heat. Running costs at the recommended working temperatures for the smaller models is about 85 units of power (KWh) per week.  So for 10p per KWh the manufactures blurb suggest it would run at £10 per week. All good if you are generating your own power and switch your tarrif to Economy 7. Also you can mothball your kettle and toaster. Have any of you got one and if so what do you think of it?
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.
If I am here it's because I am putting my feet up!

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Solar PV and Everhot stove combo
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 11:30:25 pm »
Just got an everhot 3 weeks ago, previously had an Esse oil fired which was rubbish.  We had a very hot kitchen and a very erratic oven !! The Esse wasn't a patch on Aga or Rayburn.  The Everhot is brill, even has a grill - meals are cooked so quickly ;D Took us a while though to do a cooked breakfast without setting all the smoke alarms off.  Too early to tell what the electric bills will be though, but cant be more than the oil bills???
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 11:31:08 am »
How very exciting and encouraging! You are confirming what I have found out from other sources about the Esse, and also about the lack of controllable oven/hob with Aga and Rayburn. Which did you chose? I like the look of the 120 but am a bit concerned about having the controls separate to the stove. The colour choices are groovy. The burgundy looks like a big glass of wine and bowl stewed fruit pudding, I am very tempted.
I am sure it will be more affordable than oil, also no annual service. I would be very interested to know what you think after you have broken her in and have got to know her running costs. Because the Everhot is so controllable I imagined that using an Economy 7 tariff could make it a bit like a storage heater. The grill sounds a bit fierce, good job I like my bacon crispy. Do you have solar PV too?
I am pleased to say after changing my heating to wood/solid fuel I have all but stopped using the oil. I ordered a full tank fill up two years ago and still have at least three quarters in reserve.
Julia xxx 3 acres and a day job!!!! Chickens, Turkeys, Sheep, Pigs, Veggies and Homebrew. Husband, son, pets, chutney and music.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:43:57 pm »
We chose the 90 because it had to fit in the space of the old one, and cream because I'm a traditionalist :-)  We don't have solar PV but may look into it after we get the next leccy bill  ::)
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 04:42:03 pm »
I don't have one but it was on my wish list when we renovated and I went to see one in action - I thought it looked great - very well made and ticked all the boxes - still on my wish list but you know how long they can be.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Bright Raven

• Joined May 2010
  • North Shropshire
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:36 pm »
You are so right  ::) It is going to be at least two years for me to save up enough for it, and that is only if I don't have an emergency that causes me to smash the jar.  Mind you by the time we get there VAT may have gone down I suppose.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS