Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do I need to do in order to sell jam to my local shop?  (Read 3668 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
What do I need to do in order to sell jam to my local shop?
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:32:09 pm »
I have put this up on the recipes forum aswell.

I asked at our local produce store whether they would be interested in having some of my plum jam to sell.

They asked if I had a food hygiene certificate and said that I could do an online course and then somebody would visit the premises.

Is this so?

I can see online courses but do they need to be accredited with any organisation?

How do I get the ball rolling?

Any suggestions/advice welcomed.

THanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

CarolW

• Joined Aug 2010
Re: What do I need to do in order to sell jam to my local shop?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:12:53 pm »
Hi, if it's a basic food hygiene course we use (at work) a consultant company called Advanced Food Safety who are based in Lancashire - they can do distance learning courses which are a reasonable price. Russell (Parry) is very helpful and he may also be able to advise you on what you need to do to sell your jam.

Try their website   www.food-safety.co.uk/  it might be of help.
good luck with selling your jam !

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:32:16 pm »
Thanks CarolW
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 08:55:53 am »
The elementary food hygiene (REHIS) certificate is a one day training available at many local FE colleges for about £80 including the exam..

I know cos once my ILA account is up and running I plan to do it at Perth College (UHI) ;)  Elmwood College are closer but they do it as 2 hour evening classes over 4 weeks and I'd rather just go for a day and be done :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:58:41 am »
Suziequeue - are you in the UK ?
A quick phonecall to your environmental health department will get it all cleared up (as it's them who'll have to inspect you and approve your premises etc)
I'd be wary of doing any kind of on-line course (or any course for that matter) without checking first if it's a recognised qualification  ;)
My dad is a cook in a local care home (with all his food hygiene quals.) a new cook started with certificates for this, that and another - it was only when the 'official' from environmental health turned up they discovered her qualifications weren't worth the paper they were written on  :o
You'll also need product liability insurance & need to comply with weights & measures and labelling regulation....but your environmental health officer/advisor will be able to keep you right on all that.
HTH
Karen  :wave:

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:42:49 pm »
I did my food hygiene certificate with the WI, (tho I'm not a member!) it cost about £20 & took a day at their local centre.
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS