Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field size for Alpacas and question help  (Read 7791 times)

piggy

• Joined Oct 2008
Field size for Alpacas and question help
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:29:15 pm »
Hi

Today we went to visit a petting farm with alpacas,llamas and camels.For years my OH has wanted some alpacas but until now i have always said no as we had 6 horses and quite a few sheep,i have cut down to 2 horses so was thinking that maybe i might have enough room for a couple,we saw 3 lovely white ones in 1 pen and another 3 in another but although they seemed happy and were very friendly they didnt have much space but as i know nothing about them im not sure if that normal,i paced out the pens whilst i was there and on a rough guess i think they were around 30 meters by 25 meters each with a shelter in.Lots of questions so here goes

1:Do they mix with horses or sheep or are they better on there own?

2:If i need to keep them in there own pen what would you recomend as the minimum size for 2/3?

3:The farm had 2 sets of 3 so do they need to be in 3 or is 2 ok?

4:Are they happy to live out all year with shelter or do they need to come in for the winter?

5:What do they eat apart from grass,we have plently of hay just got 300 bales in for winter,do they need hard feed as well?

6:What extra special care do they need ie feet trimming,worming,vaccinations?

Sorry so many questions but i need to know the full facts before i will committ to buying any animal.

Any other tips or hints please share.

Thanks

Karen

Antz

• Joined May 2011
Re: Field size for Alpacas and question help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:24:51 am »
I have four Alpacas so I'm not an expert but can answer a couple of your questions.
Absolutely fine with sheep and my miniature shetland pony but not sure about full size horses.
Keeping two is fine , if your not breeding then wethers are best.
Ours have for shelter a 24' by 12' field shelter, a couple of stables, a goat shed and a twelve foot lean to (spoilt buggers) but they always stay under the old pear tree no matter what the weather, even the deep snow we had last winter.
Feed wise we use badminton alpaca mix or goat mix with camelibra supliment.
We trim feet adhoc about twice a year along with wormer, and they need shearing yearly.
Hope that helps a bit.
Ant.

Fronhaul

• Joined Jun 2011
    • Fronhaul Farm
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 08:01:26 am »
We have 14 at the moment so here goes with a little more information but I would suggest visiting some of the large breeders websites as they are a mine of information.  Also take a look at the British Alpaca site which is at http://www.bas-uk.com/ .

1.  Alpacas aren't good with younger horses because the horses are too boisterous for them.  They are fine with sheep. 
2.  They tend to make poo piles rather like stallions so the area they have will depend to some extent on your enthusiasm for poo picking.
3.  2 should be ok if they are friends but 3 would be even better.  I agree if you aren't breeding then wethers would be a good choice.  Top quality females are very expensive but wethers will not cost you a fortune.
4.  They are very hardy and will live out all year although they would need some shelter.  Bear in mind they are prey animals so may not be that keen on field shelters etc unless they have a good all round view.
5.  We also use Camelibra.  Sugarbeet or Alfabeet is good for improving or adding condition.  Hay for around six months of the year roughly but they don't eat huge amounts.
6.  Special care is very much like sheep.  The treatments you use will be licensed for sheep but not alpacas as virtually nothing is licensed for alpacas.

There are effectively two types, the huacayas are the shorter coated and some claim easier to look after.  The Suris have the longer coats that ripple in the wind when they run.  Lots of places claim the Suris are wilder and more difficult but I was told that provided you keep their fringes cut so they can see the Suris can become just as friendly.  With mine that has proved to be the case and our friendliest alpaca is a Suri.

The main issue may be finding a shearer.  If you buy from someone close to you they should be able to help with this.  Coloured wethers will cost more than white ones because they are less common.  Always buy British Alpaca Society registered animals.  The main place alpacas are advertised is http://www.alpacafinder.co.uk/ .

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:50:53 am »
The main issue may be finding a shearer

Hi Piggy,

Don't worry about finding an alpaca shearer as I can do them with less stress to the animal, that's if you still want me next year ;D.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep: :alpaca:

Antz

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 02:38:41 pm »
Hi Philip,
We were about to contact you this year for the sheep as someone said you were in the area, but one of the neighbours sent her shearer round to do our three. Had I known you do Alpacas as well we would have tried to book you. You certainly seem highly recommend on here.
Will have to remember for next year.
Thanks.
Ant.

SingingShearer

• Joined Mar 2010
  • South Yorkshire
    • Singing Shearer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 08:59:24 pm »
Hi Ant,

I would be happy to shear for you but if you want me next year then please book in early as I only make one or two trips to Gloucestershire every year and try to fit everyone in together to reduce fuel costs.

Just to let you know that I shear alpacas like a sheep, NOT tied down as I believe that restraining them this way is too stressful.

Thanks,
Philip :sheep: :alpaca:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS