Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My flippin' lamb...  (Read 3384 times)

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
My flippin' lamb...
« on: August 24, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

An interesting question...why does my smallest, youngest lamb continue to baa at me constantly (she was an orphan and bottlefed) and try to latch on to every other sheep including her orphan sisters!!!? They've all been weaned for +12 weeks now. She eats grass, drinks, sheepnuts etc but compared to the others she's constantly searching for what appears to be milk. Any thoughts?

Mx
http://selfridgestoscats.blogspot.com  **NOW UPDATED**
twitter - @southscouse

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: My flippin' lamb...
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:34:27 pm »
I think she is looking for a bit TLC.

My 2 handreared Ryelands always baa when they see me and come running they search everywhere for food even when I don't have any.

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 04:58:14 pm »
Yes she's certainly pushed around by the others, always by herself - when the others are sheltering she's out in the middle of a thunderstorm and vice versa. Though she eats nuts she always ALWAYS tries eating the bowl first, then paws at it...she has beautiful grass to eat but is mostly seen stripping out the hedge...bright she is not, needy...very!

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

GeorgieB82

• Joined Jun 2011
  • Saron, Llandysul, Carms
    • Wthan Online
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:39 pm »
I shouldn't worry, I had a bottle fed ewe lamb who every time I got near the flock she would bleat, run over to me and would not leave me alone. She is now a 3 year veteran mother but will still come to me for a bit of TLC. I went up to see my ewes yesterday and sat in the middle of the 4 acre field and guess who came to see me, only problem was she brought the other 40 with her and i got mobbed.

Mine got less dependant when I wasn't entering the field every day, i used to inspect the sheep from behind a hedge until that bond was broken, just like a lamb to a ewe.

She didn't care for me much at all once I put her to the ram, I think he made a woman of her!
Why not have a look at our smallholding - www.wthanonline.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 02:02:12 am »
Hand-reared ones often do remain more tame than those reared on their mothers, I still have girls that come right up to me and like a bit of fuss, even after they've reared two or more crops of lambs themselves.

Eating the bowl and eating hedges could just be sheep being sheep, and she never had a mum to show her ... but it could also be that she's lacking something in her diet.  Almost certainly she's absolutely fine, but if she hasn't had one it won't hurt to give her a mineral drench (and check her teeth while you've got hold of her - do they line up with the toothless pad on the top alright and does her jaw seem to be correctly aligned.) 

HTH
Sally x
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 07:58:34 am »
We've got 7 handreared lambs here and one of them is my little cling-on.  She see's me go into the field and runs at me, then whereever I go, she's stuck to my leg like a dog on  utility course. My children are actually jealous because they want to hold mummy's hand but can't get near me because of this mad sheep and if the cat tries to join us for a walk the ewe chases her off  ::)  Other 6 aren't too fussed about humans just this one is clearly bonkers.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:09:50 am »
Ha ha! I can relate to this! My other 2 orphans are more obedient than my lab! I think they do see themselves as a dog/young child!! Sally - really interesting re: the teeth...I'm going to have  look this afternoon. Today is sheep nut treat day!

Thanks all
Mx
twitter - @southscouse

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 09:27:26 am »
I know they can be a pain in the butt, but you can't help but luv 'em can you.  Those bottle fed ones always are just a tad special  ;D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 10:02:09 am »
I know they can be a pain in the butt, but you can't help but luv 'em can you.  Those bottle fed ones always are just a tad special  ;D
This one sure is, she's just weedled her way out of the freezer and into our hearts  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

melholly

• Joined Oct 2010
  • East Sussex
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 10:43:15 am »
LOL!

But yes, my 4 year old DD wouldn't swap Ollie, Bon Bon and Hiltz for anything, yet my non orphans though she's named them she's non plussed about them!

Mx
twitter - @southscouse

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS