Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cockeral Spurs  (Read 11651 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
Re: Cockeral Spurs
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 08:53:48 pm »
it sadly didn't work, I probably should have done it when he was younger. It obviously hurt him, too, although I wasn't touching his foot. :( :&>

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 09:01:00 pm »
hich or both - pots or clippers? We did a full grown bird that we bought a couple of weeks ago with the clippers no problems and di not bother him at all - maybe you should go a bit at a time, until you both feel ok about it?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 09:07:38 pm »
it was the potato...he didn't like the heat from it and cried under my arm, poor soul. In the end his girls ate the potato  ;). Will have to find a kind person to lend me some clippers now!  :chook: :&>

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 10:04:19 pm »
I keep reading this potato thing and all i can think is that it kills the nerves etc (eventually!) with the heat. I'm sure it must hurt!
I use clippers, bit at a time, like you'd do dog claws or similar.

Hopewell

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 10:18:28 pm »
I keep reading this potato thing  I'm sure it must hurt!

I quite agree.

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 10:44:28 pm »
ditto Jaykay. NFD ask someone who has dealt with big dog claws or hooves/sheep - think you said Egglady had some clippers you could use -why not try together. No reason he should be distressed at all

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 11:12:28 pm »
Someone showed me how to do this, and though I didn't want to be shown  :o I am glad I know how to do it now, as they can seriously damage the hens otherwise.

It 100 percent did not hurt his bird when he did it, and I didn't hurt mine, though I did cut one spur (tell you in a minute) a bit too short and it did bleed, though actually caused no problem and the cockerel was back in top form with his girls in an hour, but this was when I was on my third one and was probably getting over confident

How he did it was this way

Get someone to hold the bird so it is calm.  The next bit sounds dreadful, but I assure you it does work, and the bird doesn't struggle or show any sign of distress. 

Grasp the spur in the jaws of normal strong pliers, and make sure you are holding about half way up and not too close to the actual leg.

Don't hold it hard, but hard enough that you will be able to rotate the coating of the spur without the jaws of the pliers slipping round the spur.

Now - begin veeerrrry slowly to rotate the spur cover, just a tiny fraction - at first clockwise then anticlockwise. 

You MUST proceed very slowly at first - just to begin to loosen the cover.  You will be surprised that eventually the cover will just slip off. Just take care that all actions are slow.

The inner spur core will now be revealed, and WILL NOT bleed.

You can leave this if you like, and the spur will harden and be the same but smaller than when you started or - and again this is where you should take care not to cut too far back - you can take off the tip - probably back  about one quarter to one third, leaving the remaining part to regrow.  Doing it this way the regrown spur will be blunt rather than pointed.

I have some special sharp dog toenail clippers which I used to cut it, but any strong nail nippers or sharp cutters would do the job

Give it a spray with some antiseptic and put the bird in a clean cage for a few hours until it is set .  Probably unnecessary, but I thought it best.  The chap who showed me just let his bird go when the job was finished, and it ran off looking totally unperturbed.

As I say - I was amazed when shown how to do this, and though it is not one of my favourite jobs I am truly glad I have discovered such a painless way to do the job (I hate cutting my dogs toenails :-\ )
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2011, 09:26:13 am »
As to friendly cockrels I had one that was often picked up from young, he was beautiful and knew it, went into school with me for an art lesson a couple of times.....and then Ive had an agressive one that got me whenever my back was turned but he hadnt been touched much . therefore I think if they have always been handled it seems they think you realy are boss and are OK.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2011, 10:08:40 am »
I had no idea that they can bleed to death from having them clipped, so I'm not too :chook: :&> keen on that now! I wish someone could show me what you described DBE! This morning the spur I worked on does not look quite as sharp any more, so something happened. I will probably apply one of the larger metal files from OH's workshop in a few days and see how that goes  ::)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2011, 10:44:06 am »
Hi there - I suspect you are too far from me to visit, but I thought "there must be something on U-tube" and sure enough, slightly different to my way, but perhaps his fingers are stronger

Removing a rooster's spurs

At least it might give you some confidence.  As I said when the person who showed me how it was done suggested showing me, I would have liked to have gone home, but he insisted it was OK, and guess what - It was  ;D

All the best
Sue

PS there are probably loads more video clips about this if you search around
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 01:30:54 pm »
Thanks for the video, DBE! I have now seen 5 different methods and I think will go for just clipping and blunting the sharp end. Will let you know how we got on in a few days... :chook: :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS