Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WWOOFers  (Read 4967 times)

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: WWOOFers
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 01:55:30 pm »
I've got people staying from Helpx.  On the whole it has been great.  Lots of jobs are getting done and most of the people staying have been fantastic. 

I think someone has mentioned before about following your gut instinct about whether someone is going to be good with you.  It's worked out well so far and I'm looking forward to meeting more Helpxers in the next few weeks too.

I've found it helpful to have a wish list of jobs that I'd like to get done and the Helpxers choose what jobs will suit them and what they would enjoy doing.  They work for 4 hours a day, 6 days a week in exchange for a comfortable room and plenty of food.  They help themselves to breakfast and lunch then I cook a meal for us all to share in the evening.

It's working well so far.

:) :) :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 07:22:13 pm »
I figured out what Rosemary could do.

Advertise in WWOOF News (or these days I suppose it's better on their website?) along these lines:

"Pre-WWOOFing WWOOF.  Very experienced WWOOFers sought to help nervous wannabe host get organised enough to be a credible host.  <list activities / tasks / livestock / projects / goals as appropriate>"

I bet you get at least three responses.  :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Rosemary could take 1 and I'll take the other 2 then...
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 05:48:32 pm »
Well - our second lot of WWOOFers started today - a German couple. They are even more energetic than our prodigious French girl (who is still here!!)..... and there's two of them!!!

They have already asked to stay a bit longer and we have all spent today digging a drainage trench in the polytunnel.

We couldn't get them to stop for lunch!!!

OH and I are exhausted!!

Tomorrow we are all going to a friend's garden for a winter vegetable workshop so we can have a bit of a rest!!!

:D :D :D

We are getting so much done. It's amazing!!! This evening there was even a bit of competition as to who was going to feed the sheep!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 05:56:00 pm »
Wow, sounds like some team  ;D
If they fancy heading to Scotland once they've finished with you, I'm sure I could find a bed for them  ;) :D :D :D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 06:25:09 pm »
Thanks for keeping us updated. Hope ours will be as eager.

:farmer:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 07:52:40 pm »
Yup, and after Happy Hippy's they can come and stay in our mill which is lovely and erect our polytunnel and fruit cage, clear out the forest area by the river, clear the ivy from the kiln house.....mile long etc......(really).....bet you won't let go of them - or how about a wee bit commission on the side..?
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

MelRice

• Joined Jun 2011
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 10:14:48 am »
Ive got a few HelpXers here as the WWOOFing site here as Germany has its own German WWOOFing site (so does France) My lot havnt stayed very long so far one week then two lots of two weeks, You do have to babysit them a bit show them exactly what you want but it has been great so far. Talking about length of work day expected I must be tougher! But good luck to you.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2011, 04:16:22 pm »
We have a bit of a discussion with ours at the start about what the priority of the moment is and then each evening over supper we go through the day and talk about what needs doing the following day.

I find it's easier to work alongside them (hence we are exhausted) - then I can keep an eye on tools and techniques.

We've been working all day today at clearing alot of hedgerow brash from last year's hedgelaying..... it's so energising seeing the job done!! I say thankyou thankyou alot!!!

We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS