Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advise please on prolapse  (Read 2795 times)

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
Advise please on prolapse
« on: January 29, 2012, 11:37:53 am »
I have a 2 year old pygmy that delivered twins 3 days ago and prolapsed about 3 inches. Callled the vet who said to leave it for few days to see if it would go back in. Well now it is out about 2 inches and looking worse-of course it is Sunday and vet is not in till Monday. Looks almost like she has tore a piece. I thought I would try to gently wash with surgical soap and lubricate with sheep lubricant to help the dryness. She and the kids seem good. I have a feeling this will be a Monday morning trip to the vet.  :(

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: Advise please on prolapse
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 11:51:19 am »
Yes, wash gently, lubricate and push back in. Do you have any sheep neighbours that might have a 'spoon' that helps hold a prolapse in while they settle.

The other way, with sheep, one of my goat's hair would be long enough, the other not, is to tie pieces of yarn, to her hair, across her tush, so you make a series of bars to try to hold it in place.

The vet might put a purse string stitch in - you hear people recommending doing this with baler twine and no anaesthetic - all I can say is that those people are always male and have insufficient empathy  :o

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 06:19:16 pm »
She will definitely need a long-acting antibiotic, sooner the better.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 11:21:52 pm »
Poor girl.  I think a visit to the vet is definitely called for,

Lostlambs

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Canada
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 02:58:42 am »
Went to the vet and he did a purse stitch but it is a rectal prolapse and she was ok until this afternoon and now is off feed. I've given her antibiotic and started a dexamethaxon to help with the swelling.Just went out tonight and did and enema to help her go as I think thats whats bringing her down.(If anyone ever told me I would be doing an enema on a goat I would told them they were out their mind) :-[ I have added some molasses into her water as I do for the sheep after they lamb so hopefully that will help. Will just have to wait and see if it works. She's still feeding the babies so I'm hoping she's not too bad off yet.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 05:50:05 am »
Poor love. I hope it all mends ok  :-*

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS