Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost jewellery? Tools? Equipment? Or just want to know what's there?  (Read 19580 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Lost jewellery? Tools? Equipment? Or just want to know what's there?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2011, 01:34:29 pm »
History teacher? Alas no! My dream job!

At 32, if I was to do open learning to be a history teacher, it'd probably take me until 40 to be fully qualified!
:-(

For the good of our kids, you should go for it! At 40. you'd still have a good 20 years as a teacher - and the life experience you'd bring to it too. Schools would welcome you with open arms - wish I'd had a history teacher with as much enthusiasm as you.

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2011, 01:44:29 pm »
Thanks Rosemary. Very good of you to say so!

In answer to the question about what equipment I use...

I've got a 'whites DFX-E Series' detector. I've had it for nearly eight years. It was... Wait for it... £1,000 new! Ouch! But I've certainly had my use out of it! And it's still in great condition. You can pick up a new good quality machine for £300 or a good second hand version of mine for £450.

I bought mine from Joan Allen detectors down south. They do a lot of detectors at 0% finance so you can pay £15 to £30 a month over a few years like I did! I don't smoke, so figured what the hell!

If you used it frequently you get your money back in spades, forgive the pun! And you just never know what you might find! That's what keeps you going!

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2011, 01:46:00 pm »
I should add, if anyone thought of buying one get the best you can afford! DONT buy from Argos or the like... All you find is rubbish and get bored fast!

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2011, 03:03:22 pm »
You can train for a teaching qualification whilst you teach and get paid

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2011, 03:12:27 pm »
When they found the Iron Age skeletons in Alloa a few years ago, - What skeletons, where can I find out more about this?
I must set aside some time to catch up on stuff like Time Team. I watch it on Freeview Channel 14 Saturdays - back to back, so you can watch one episode or lots of them.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shearling

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:34 pm »
Ok but what should I look our for as being a good bit of kit? I promise way south so not in competition  he  he :)

I should add, if anyone thought of buying one get the best you can afford! DONT buy from Argos or the like... All you find is rubbish and get bored fast!

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2011, 10:17:51 pm »
As to what kind of machine.

Whites machines are very good.
Avoid C scope
Depends on your budget really?? How much are you looking to spend? And would you consider paying £20 to £30 a month over two years?

England is hoaching with good detecting land. 400yrs of non stop roman occupation, 600 yrs of Saxons, 300yrs of Vikings and then the medieval spell of 600yrs... Give or take!

Plus a population ten times greater and wealthier than that in Scotland!

I'd consider moving to England only for the detecting! ;)

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2011, 03:19:40 pm »
Went for a wee wander today with the dog to one of my fields I nicknamed 'the roman field' and spotted this wee coin on the surface. Who needs a detector?!?

I believe it is an 'As' of the emperor Claudius, which would date it from 41ad to 54ad? Possibly came to Scotland in the pocket of a roman legionary during the invasion of Britain?!?

Not the best looking coin I know, but at almost 2,000yrs old, it ain't that bad! ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2011, 05:00:15 pm »
That looks brilliant!  What are you going to do with it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2011, 06:01:32 pm »
Add it to the collection... I call it the rainy day fund! When the flat roof leaks or the boiler breaks or whatever else, I can always cash it in! :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2011, 07:19:18 pm »
When they found the Iron Age skeletons in Alloa a few years ago, - What skeletons, where can I find out more about this?

Um, try contacting Susan Mills, the Council's museum's officer - she oversaw the excavation. Alternatively, try Alloa Library.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 08:51:42 am »
John, Dan found an old coin yesterday (see what you've started). What's the best way to clean it up? He read to put it in vinegar or I've got some Cocacola.  ???

johnmac

• Joined Dec 2008
  • Perth
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:24 am »
Vinegar and coke a no no! Too corrosive! An old tooth brush and water, maybe a dot of fairy liquid, post a photo if you like! I'll try and date it! Well done to the man! :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS